Shmup/shoot 'em up mini contest (was: Upcoming contests...?)

sealfin Wrote:Your playable should not have been publicly shown before the beginning of the contest.
So I can enter a game i've been working on for about a week and havn't really shown anyone (other than checking compatability etc)?
Sounds like I can, just checking though.

Tobs
Quote this message in a reply
igame3d Wrote:Piss poor implementation of a good idea, doesn't make the idea wrong, it just displays the lack of forward thinking of the people involved.
Yeah, that's a good summary of it. It's a shame, too, because the idea is good.
Tobs_ Wrote:So I can enter a game i've been working on for about a week and havn't really shown anyone (other than checking compatability etc)?
Sounds like I can, just checking though.
Yes; I'm just using the usual iDG contest rules, which (to paraphrase) state that an entry shouldn't have been shown online before the start of the contest it is entered in.

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
sealfin: Does a game where you program your "Thing That Shoots" instead of shooting it via space bar , count as a shmup?
Aerock
Unregistered

Heh, of course. its very unrecommendable to have to use the spacebar anyway, its sort of clunky and makes a big sound on some keyboards.
eh... no sound. I hope its okay to use images from other games I have made. I have no time to draw them myself this week... Exams and all. Sad

Hmm, this is closer to robocode. But! the main point of this game is to shoot one of the AIs to death. The player can control the AI via script or via keyboard. (keyboard input must be specified in the AI file for the ship).
My entry:
Download

EDIT
:
I've updated it with some more AI commands. Not sure if it is allowed, so I put it on a seperate link. here: http://www.appleide.sitesled.com/Aics2.zip
...31/3/06: updated yet again, in this seperate link.
AlStaffieri
Unregistered

OK. Here's my entry. It's a simple little game called PongBlaster. I wanted to make more levels, have scoring, and put a few things in like power ups and stuff, but I ran out of time to do it for this contest. I just started working on it a few days ago. I'm having fun working on it, so I think I will continue adding to it.

Download it here:
http://members.aol.com/macgamemaker/pongblaster.sit
Well, here's what I managed to achieve:
http://www.gerbilmedia.co.uk/A-Type.app.zip

The name should give you a pretty good idea of what it was supposed to be - but due to time constraints there are only two types of enemy and no levels (just a random stream of stuff to kill). I also meant to add in power-ups and limit the use of the alternative guns (and give you a reason to want to use the third (blue) one... It may be revealed one day...) There's also a problem with the alpha that I haven't figured out how to sort yet (this is my first app using an NSOpenGLView subclass and there must some configuration tricks I haven't figured out properly - I found some promising stuff today but I don't have time to try it out).
I have learned quite a bit from this little project though, so I may continue working on it. In fact, the structure of my base code is a bit of a mess, so I may start again and retain three or four of the smaller classes.
Luminary
AlStaffieri Wrote:http://members.aol.com/macgamemaker/pongblaster.sit

Stuffit hasn't been shipped with Macs for something like 18 months (and good riddance!). How about a version in a useful compression format?
Crashed. Aren't contests fun?

===== Fri.03.30.07 4:33:42 PM America/Denver =====
ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/ross/code/A-Type/build/A-Type.build/Debug/A-Type.build/Objects-normal/ppc/main.ob

So this is on an iMac Intel 17 inch with ATi and a gig and half of ram.
Crashed on launch.
Sorry I always forget thats important.
Luminary
backslash, you need to switch your build configuration to "Release" (or "Deployment" if it's an older project) and rebuild.
Previous post:
"Ok, finally got it working. I made the build a few hours ago, but didn't upload it until 00:35, I hope you don't mind!
http://www.freewebs.com/logicnot/TobsEntry.app.zi
Note: once you download it, add a 'p' to the end of the filename (this is to bypass anti-app or zip filters on freewebs)
One bug persists:
Sometimes it crashes randomly. No reason, it just does :/
Hope you still let me enter, despite being 39 mins late on the upload, it's my dad's wedding tomorrow and things are pretty compilcated...
Try the other shooting mode (press 's' on startup)
it should work on PPC (worked on my friend's PPC)
and i'll update this when i'm sober, sorry about spelling/grammer mistakes!

Tobs"

edited, an actual, sensical post:
Finaly uploaded my entry, sorry it took a while (uploaded at ~00:35) but it's done.
no sound, only graphics. The 'shadow' is weird, where it leaves a 'shadow' behind each pixel, it should be around 80%; any more is overkill, but any less is negligible.
Controls:
WASD move, IJKL shoot in a direction (similar to arrow keys for both)
alternatively, press 's' on the menu to get into mouse shooting mode, which is unique, and possibly easier!
There is no compulsary end-of-game, because it's too dificult (I can't actually complete it >_<), but once you get <0 health, it'll show the game-over message, which you can ignore, so you can actually play the game Rasp
Game was started 6pm Friday 16th, and most of it was programmed that night (from 6 till 4am, as a personal challenge), but was continued briefly in college time (because ICT lessons suck) and uploaded a small while ago.
Sorry about lack of sounds and filetype - you must change it to .zip before use!
Thanks for playing, if you do Smile

Tobs
Tobs takes the lead.
Good stuff.
Tobs, please steal some sounds. It begs for them. Or at least have it write the words BOOM and WHAMMO when stuff blows up.

Al, can you mask the ball? You can see the white background of the ball when it hits the paddle.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Tobs! Very nice! I am going to vote for you. Sneaky

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  toucharcade alternatives for Japan/China/Russia contests? mixedup 0 591 Dec 13, 2013 04:41 PM
Last Post: mixedup
  Mini fun Contest EvolPenguin 2 5,151 Nov 14, 2010 11:10 AM
Last Post: EvolPenguin
  WebGL Mini-Contest OneSadCookie 26 20,763 Dec 14, 2009 11:40 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Mini-contest: Time &amp; Space Manipulation OneSadCookie 18 14,721 Nov 8, 2009 02:38 PM
Last Post: Oddity007
  21 Day Mini Contest FlamingHairball 2 6,735 Aug 1, 2009 03:03 PM
Last Post: FlamingHairball