Shmup/shoot 'em up mini contest (was: Upcoming contests...?)

I had a choice between finishing my entry, or having extremo-fun social time with a group of rowdy teenagers.

Guess what I chose? Yeah, game's not done, but here's the concept.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Quote this message in a reply
Would have been a treasure in 21 days, I'm sure.
Keep running with it, I'll make a level editor.

Tobs has my vote so far just felt all "ooh cool"
as soon as I started shooting things.

And it pointed out something I "lost" this contest
because I couldn't ignore. His turning mechanism
is not perfectly smooth, I broke my game this
afternoon trying to keep the turning perfectly smooth.
Didn't have a back up, or remember all the changes I made last saturday.

Where's the unity?
OneSadCookie Wrote:backslash, you need to switch your build configuration to "Release" (or "Deployment" if it's an older project) and rebuild.

Thanks OSC. If only the problem was that. In actual fact I did a Release build but then posted the Debug one anyway. If only the deadline had been a few hours earlier when my brain still worked. Bored
Since I am once again capable of thought this morning I have even tested the app properly (and fixed the missing files that Xcode decided weren't important, put libpng in the right place and so on). So although the creation date for my app is way past the deadline I haven't actually edited any code since about 11:00 pm last night. I hope you can all find it in your hearts to forgive my stupidity. Sneaky

<EDIT>Diordna - I hope you'll keeping working on your game. It's already more fun than mine!
Stephen,
You should turn your game into some kind of bombing-run type game Wink.
Tobs,
Your game is pretty sweet, gets my vote too!

Alex
AlStaffieri
Unregistered

OneSadCookie Wrote:Stuffit hasn't been shipped with Macs for something like 18 months (and good riddance!). How about a version in a useful compression format?

Every time I've zipped a file and uploaded it, the file would not decompress when downloaded. I always got an error. So I stayed with sit because that always worked. I tried a zip with this game too and actually had a zip file link to my game in this thread at first. Then I downloaded it and it didn't work... just like any other time I tried to open a zipped file that I uploaded, so I reuploaded a sit file and edited the link here.

I studied this some more this morning and I think I finally figured out what I was always doing wrong. My ftp upload screen gives me 3 choices: ASCII text, Binary, or MacBinary. Of course I always used MacBinary for my compressed Mac applications because that was the only one that worked with StuffIt files. I just tried plain Binary and that seems to work with zip files.

So... I'll start using zip from now on since I think I finally figured out how everyone gets their uploaded zip files to download correctly.
AlStaffieri
Unregistered

Leisure Suit Lurie Wrote:Al, can you mask the ball? You can see the white background of the ball when it hits the paddle.

I thought I had done that, but was in a rush to get something uploaded Friday before I went to work that evening and missed the deadline. It's fixed for the next version. Thanks.
I have had problems uploading and downloading my own zips lately.
Using cyberduck, don't see any Macbinary stuff.

I did however update to 10.4.9.
Could be an Apple bug?
I haven't had any problems, and I use cyberduck as well.

Alex
I'm using Cyberduck on OS X 10.4.9 (PowerPC) without any trouble (as far as I know, anyway).
Aerock
Unregistered

Nice, i like tobs the most. But one thing that makes it uselessly difficult is some of the blurring and the fading of the bullets. the bullets should be extremely visible so you could dodge them easier, a mouse-aiming shooting mode would be nice aswell Smile

The background could also use some work, or be completely removed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  toucharcade alternatives for Japan/China/Russia contests? mixedup 0 553 Dec 13, 2013 04:41 PM
Last Post: mixedup
  Mini fun Contest EvolPenguin 2 5,103 Nov 14, 2010 11:10 AM
Last Post: EvolPenguin
  WebGL Mini-Contest OneSadCookie 26 20,531 Dec 14, 2009 11:40 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Mini-contest: Time &amp; Space Manipulation OneSadCookie 18 14,569 Nov 8, 2009 02:38 PM
Last Post: Oddity007
  21 Day Mini Contest FlamingHairball 2 6,695 Aug 1, 2009 03:03 PM
Last Post: FlamingHairball