Anybody else using Flurry?

Casey just sent me a link to this interesting article about how Flurry Analytics is seeing a huge spike in new projects started with them. For the record, we represent one of those new projects Wink Actually, it's a test project, as we were just exploring the idea of using Flurry, but we're planning on using it for real for an iPad/iPhone game we're working on. So we'll wind up adding yet another project to their spike. I'm guessing half of those projects may be either test projects or duds, so even conservatively, from Flurry's viewpoint alone, that's 800 new iPad projects just from that short time period.

I'm curious about roughly what percentage of other game devs here are using Flurry?

*** wild speculation alert *** If only 1 out of every, let's wildly over/underestimate this for scope, 10 apps is using Flurry, then I'm thinking we're looking at being buried in an avalanche of new apps for iPad.... Like that'd be 8000 new apps for iPad started in January alone. If we guessed something a little more modest like 1 out of every 50 apps use Flurry, we'd be looking at like 40,000 apps started in January for iPad. How many of those actually make it to market is anybody's guess, but the numbers look pretty steep, even when taking a conservative view of it.
Quote this message in a reply
I use Pinch Media - essentially Flurry now I think - and it gives some interesting data.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Yeah, it says on the Flurry front page that they merged. Out of curiosity, are you using libFlurry, or is there a separate pinch media library?
I'm using libPMAnalytics-r64. I haven't gotten a new version of it in awhile, so maybe there is only one these days...

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Hi!

I never heard anything about this kind of programs (flurry/analytics)

Can anyone explain me for what flurry/statistics is used exactly?
What kind of statistics does flurry collect?

Thanks a lot.
The basic functionality is that it contacts the server every time the app is launched to let it know that a new session has started. It passes back basic (non-identifiable, anonymous) information like the hardware being used and how long the session was. In addition, you can have it log whatever arbitrary events you want, like if a user pressed a button you can log that. If a user gets a high score, you can log that. It will even log exceptions so you can help determine if your program is crashing and perhaps what is causing it. On the flurry website you can log in and it will graph the results of all the events so you can analyze what's happening, like how many new users you have and how many you retain and also lists the number of exceptions and events that you logged. It typically takes a few hours for the data to show up.
AnotherJake Wrote:The basic functionality is that it contacts the server every time the app is launched to let it know that a new session has started. It passes back basic (non-identifiable, anonymous) information like the hardware being used and how long the session was. In addition, you can have it log whatever arbitrary events you want, like if a user pressed a button you can log that. If a user gets a high score, you can log that. It will even log exceptions so you can help determine if your program is crashing and perhaps what is causing it. On the flurry website you can log in and it will graph the results of all the events so you can analyze what's happening, like how many new users you have and how many you retain and also lists the number of exceptions and events that you logged. It typically takes a few hours for the data to show up.

Thanks for help. So I guess it is the same as google analytics. The only problem I see is that some iPhones/iPods don't any a persistent internet conection.

Does this software have a queue or something like that to store results if mobile have no internet in that moment and send them later?

Is it a ObjectiveC library? Can I use that in a C++/OpenGL game?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, it saves information offline and then sends next time a network connection is available. I don't see lack of a network connection as a problem anyway, as the analytics information is merely used to help improve the program -- it's most definitely not something that is relied on or needed.

It is a very simple Obj-C library that you can use with your OpenGL game, no problems. There are 8 total calls in the entire header and they're all class methods so you don't even instance it.
Nibbie
We use Flurry Analytics in our own apps and are pleased with the results.

In fact, we recently released an iOS app called Flutter that acts as a dashboard for viewing Flurry Analytics data on the go. Please check it out and let me know if you have any feedback. I'm genuinely hoping this tool can be helpful to others who rely on Flurry Analytics data!

http://durbinware.com/products/flutter
Nibbie
We are using Flurry analytic as well :

From dev point of view : SDK's are cross platforms (BB10, IOS, Android, Windows Phone) half a day to implement on each platform

Marketing point of view : Easy to handle. Very simple even for a noob. Number of dl, number of playing session, How long people play the game for each session.

Pretty awesome tool for a small fish like us.