Street Fighter 3 Sprite/Animation Program

Chance21
Unregistered

Hey guys,

I am trying to find out what program or programs Capcom used not to make the sprites, but how scan a drawn picture and turn that picture into a GIF or PNG, without putting in every single pixel. I am sure they didnt put each pixel for every character for the 100's of frames of animation.

So if anyone would know or does know, please let me know. I would be forever greatful.

ThanksCool
Quote this message in a reply
Not sure what they used. On the Mac, you could use Pixen, or Painter. Or use a 3d program and render with a toon shader.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
I'm curious 'bout how they do it too...

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Oldtimer
Not really sure what you're asking for here, but I would assume that they drew the frames on paper, scanned on a scanner, and touched it up in a pixel-editing program?
random
Unregistered

I'm not sure but I think you might be surprised at how many pixels people manually placed for each frame of animation in some games. Hinting at lots of detail in a few pixels is a real art. Check out the tutorials at http://www.spriteart.com/main.html

I guess if I had to try this I would use something that could vectorize a scan like Adobe Illustrator to get nice outlines for each frame of an animation, fill in base colors and then export them at the appropriate scale and add details and texture per pixel in any paint program.
Chance21
Unregistered

thanks guys.

I will look into it, and hopefully Ill get some answers of what programs they use.

Leisure Suit Lurie you mentioned a toon shader programs, which ones do you have in mind?
Its not a specific program, but rather a rendering style some 3d programs support. Blender has it, as do most of the big commercial 3d apps (Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Maya, etc.)

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Chance21 Wrote:I am trying to find out what program or programs Capcom used not to make the sprites, but how scan a drawn picture and turn that picture into a GIF or PNG, without putting in every single pixel. I am sure they didnt put each pixel for every character for the 100's of frames of animation.
They either used Photoshop or more likely some "custom-built" application that made it easier for them to test the sprite animations as they "colored every single frame on the computer." Since all 2D Capcom games have a small to midsize team of artists (10-25), I wouldn't think any different.

ProRattaFactor
(Retro-infused games for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Does a program that does this exist already? (Sprite animation) aaronsullivan 47 25,044 May 19, 2006 08:53 PM
Last Post: aaronsullivan