Good storyline for 2d fps side-scroller?

Apprentice
Any good stoylines or concepts? I want to design something in Power Game factory.

Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
"The devil went down to Georgia, he was looking for a soul to steal"....

Fiddlin fun for the whole family.
Sage
Save the princess. In Transylvania. While collecting rings.
Save the cheerleader, sabe the world..

Oh wait...

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Nibbie
Which time-frame?
Fantasy?
Futuristic?

What sort of game?
Shooter?
Close-combat?
Duck/jump/run?

Which elements do you wish to support?
Peaceful negotiation?
Exploration?
Infiltration?
Items/power ups?
(Duck/jump/run?)

Do you wish to support free movement in the game world? (support modular story-telling?)
Do you wish to have a interactive story-line at all?

Most concepts can make up a fun game(take a look at Donkey Kong or Bob), however it might be a good idea if you know something of what you want before you start.
I don't know anything about Power Game Factory though, for all I know duck/jump/run might be the only possible concept.
If your doing it for educational reasons just take something wired that give you a hint of where you wish to go(it was a long time since I played Bob but I believe the story is that your a young robot that crashed your dad's flying saucer, after each "world" you get a better and better saucer but you always crash them before you get home, and you can't go home and just tell your dad that you crashed his flying saucer now can you?)
Oldtimer
Two-dimensional first person shooter side-scroller? That's an interesting concept in itself. Wink
They killed my master! They will pay!

<Bruce Lee Noise>WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!</Bruce Lee Noise>

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
"if I had a hammer, I'd hammer in the evening, all over this land"

or how about

"I shot the sheriff ,but I did not shoot the deputy, I shot the sheriff, but I swear was in self defense"

or

"If you like pina-coladas, and getting caught in the rain...la la la"

BEST GAMES BASED ON BIG HITS OF THE 70's
Now from K-Tel Software for only $19.99

These games are so smokin hot Jimmy Walker says:
"They're Dyno-Mite!"
Apprentice
Futuristic

Duck/jump/run
Elfenlyte Wrote:Futuristic

Duck/jump/run

You are a duck...who jumps and runs... Rasp

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Apprentice
Haaahhaa. You are very funny.
Nibbie
Actually most things works for a game such as that.
Just a couple of things:

Escape the aliens:
Fast paced jump & run game.
Your the survivor of a alien attack on a space station and needs to get away.
+Lots of possibilities for different environments(green-house, short space-walks and lots of other stuff)
+Possibility for many different types of "monsters" or just annoying stuff that's in the way.
+Easy to implement a interactive story-line(emergency-plans, fellow crew members...)
+Good reasons to find power-ups.
-Quite a old and boring concept.

Robots:
Puzzle/strategic.
Your working with assembling robot parts when something goes wrong, you must get to the main computer and shut it down.
Between you and the main computer there is loads of robots, somehow you must find a way by using robot parts that's been thrown everywhere.
+Different kind of solutions for getting around the robots makes variation.
+Possibilities for a easy-to-follow story-line with NPCs(fellow workers, robots that talks, you name it Rasp )
-If nothing else, just trying to get good puzzles will take some time.

Just plainly futuristic:
Sometimes it can be a hell just getting to and from work.
If you take a look at Harry the Handsome Executive you will notice that you can make quite difficult problems out of ordinary stuff.

Climber games:
You've probably played any number of games where the purpose is to climb as fast as possible.
Apprentice
I was actually thinking..maybe;

10 levels. Each level you must get past guards to. at the end, destroy some sinister real-world political character.... But would this get much attentioin from the goverment?
Nibbie
Most likely not, depends on what your definition of "destroy" is.
To kill/assasinate would be a really bad idea because that's just not the way to go.

You could make a game where your mission is to find the secret documents that will reveal that Bush only wanted the oil after all.
However it's always best to keep to the (official) truth.
If your using a real person respect his/her need of privacy(my suggestion is in other words a bad idea, it's just that I'm a bad person and wouldn't care).
Take Bush or Blair as examples, they have made loads of really embarrassing stuff, just use them(or for that matter, any other politician).
Fenris Wrote:Two-dimensional first person shooter side-scroller? That's an interesting concept in itself. Wink
I was thinking the same thing. Of course, it would be very easy to make: everything would be as a side-on view with 2D objects, so you don't need to draw anything! It would make the gameplay more challenging, too! Rasp

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Why good ideas beat good graphics BeyondCloister 38 15,729 Jun 6, 2005 09:38 AM
Last Post: Dan Potter
  2d side scroller map editor Case 6 6,636 Dec 7, 2003 03:52 AM
Last Post: DanLab
  The joy of side-scrollers Griggs 35 12,650 Oct 14, 2002 07:34 PM
Last Post: Feanor