free playing card images

Hi,

anybody know of where I can get free(free as in i can do anything i want to do with them!) playing card images (the face part I don't necessarily need the back i'd like to make my own backs) to use in a game? I searched online a bit and only found GPL cards or Creative Commons Share Alike licensed images...which says 'For non commecial use and you must mention this is freeware' blah blah...and both licenses force me to license my game under their license.

Who the hell makes images of playing cards and then GPLs them? (lots of people i guess..) I mean the only people that will use their images are game developers...they think making their card images is as hard as writing a game and they should force their licence on my game just because they drew cards? >:/

Yes, this is just for a freeware(if i even finish or release anything) game anyways to test SDL...but i don't like being forced to license what I write. So I'm wondering if there are truly free licensed card images out there (52 cards) with a freeware license or a Public Domain license or a LGPL Library license or wxWidgets license or MIT license or BSD license or anything but the non-free viral GPL/CC ones.

Also, if there are no free(truly free not just free as in beer) for small game developers card images out there how legal is it for me to just scan in a deck of playing cards and use those? Or do i have to draw them myself? Won't all cards basically look the same? Is there a copyright on making an exact face look a like deck I have? How many ways can you make a

A.......
...A....
.......A

and it still being an obvious card face (because it looks like all the other cards you've used before basically...so they all copy each other? non of these GPL decks are unique and they invented some new cards or anything).

Finding free game assests just to TEST making a game seems almost as hard as writing the game! Cry Mad Huh I just want 52 faces and any back so I can test making card games. I don't care if they are in one big file or in 53 separate images.
Quote this message in a reply
NVM. I'll just use one of these ones I downloaded and if I ever release an app I'll draw my own. Now that I look at them closer they aren't very good and I'd want to customize them and make them look better anyways. Smile
Luminary
It seems like the GPL can't apply to images, since there's no obvious definition of "source code"... not that that helps you at all, since the default position is that of Copyright...

IANAL, of course...
Luminary
http://david.bellot.free.fr/svg-cards/ is LGPLed, so no problems there.
Ooo! Thanks a lot!
I am reading Programming Linux Games (SDL is mentioned a lot it was recommended on libsdl.org I'm only a 3rd done with it though) now and I want to make a game with cards maybe before I'm done with it Smile
Also check out http://www.openclipart.org/ for a ton of public domain images. I'm pretty sure they have cards in there.

The brains and fingers behind Malarkey Software (plus caretaker of the world's two brattiest felines).
Malarkey Wrote:Also check out http://www.openclipart.org/ for a ton of public domain images. I'm pretty sure they have cards in there.

Thanks! That looks like a nice site I'll start looking for future projects. Now I'm not doing a card game because I'm doing 'real' work on my project (not game related) but it's still great to know resources are out there for small developers to use. Smile

edit: while now that I read the license stuff on that site I like it even more. I'm going to submit some stuff I made too so other people can use it free!

edit 2: although wth is a SVG? :/

edit 3: ok I read about SVG a little...seems like too much work they should just accept any image format bah >:/
Luminary
SVG is vector art. A bitmap is not easily convertible to vector art!

Inkscape is a nice, free program that can make SVGs. I think Adobe Illustrator can too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  playing card images honkFactory 9 7,502 Aug 31, 2003 10:26 PM
Last Post: jamn