how do i make .xm music files?

Hi, i can play .xm and .wav files now with SDL on mac/msw/lin but I don't know where to get .xm files?

Is there a .xm converter you guys know of please? Blush I never even heard of .xm files before yesterday...
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
.xm files are one of the many varieties of tracker files. Wikipedia: Tracker should be a good place to start.

PlayerPRO is an old, but workable program if you want to create your own .xm files.

Their biggest benefit is their tiny file size, the downside is that tracker music is somewhat harder to create compared to using a program such as GarageBand.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Skorche Wrote:PlayerPRO is an old, but workable program if you want to create your own .xm files.

Thanks! I downloaded PlayerPro but it seems too complicated :/

I will instead try and get SDL to play mp3s or something I guess...
Sage
Ogg/Vorbis files play nicely with SDL_mixer. I would recommend that over mp3 any day.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Wow GarageBand is fun! I didn't ever even use it... now I want to learn how to make music screw programming ^_^'

ya i just tested it with a ogg and it works too. I don't really know the difference between ogg and mp3 though..
mac_girl Wrote:I don't really know the difference between ogg and mp3 though..
They're two unrelated formats which both perform lossy compression of audio. My experience has been that Vorbis produces higher quality audio at smaller file sizes than MP3, though your results may vary. However, MP3 is far more ubiquitous than Vorbis.
Luminary
MP3 is covered by a bunch of patents, which makes using it in a (cross-platform) game tricky. Ogg/Vorbis is patent-free, and has an easy-to-used cross-platform library.
Quote:MP3 is covered by a bunch of patents, which makes using it in a (cross-platform) game tricky. Ogg/Vorbis is patent-free, and has an easy-to-used cross-platform library.

Ah, ok. I was going to use just ogg and wav (because i got them to work in linux, mac, windows and xm but i have no idea how to create a xm from a mp3...) anyways but thanks about letting me know about the patents problem. I have been trying hard not to use any license restricting stuff like GPL or anything. Rolleyes
You can't create a tracker(.xm, mod, etc) file from an mp3(you can do the reverse though.) Tracker files are (simple version) a list of notes to play and a bunch of instrument samples to play them with.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How To Make .des Files? hariszaman 2 4,411 Mar 11, 2012 02:17 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  OpenAL - Ogg files vs Caf files Fred9000 8 13,852 Aug 23, 2011 08:01 PM
Last Post: ipeku