Text based RPG

Smush
Unregistered

So PHP is good idea now lol :S ?
whatever language i should use is there sufficent tutorials maybe based loosley around what i am trying to put together? or should i just google the tutorials (bear in mind ive not coded much before this)

thanks again
Quote this message in a reply
Smush Wrote:So PHP is good idea now lol :S ?

Like everything in life, what one person loves another hates and vice versa.

The best thing to do is evaluate all the options suggested before commencing your project. If you do not have the luxury of time then pick one at random - just be prepared for someone always to say it is the end of the world because you did not choose their current favourite and so prepare to rot in Hell or an Indian call centre Wink
Sage
The truth is that you can learn to program in any language. It's not like PHP won't work. After you learn many languages though, you're going to find that some do certain things better than others. What those things are is largely left up to opinion. (My opinion is that PHP isn't really good for anything, but other people's religious views may differ. Wink )

You could decide to use <fill in language here> and be perfectly happy.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Smush
Unregistered

python looks a nice package will it work for what i want?
Luminary
Yes, Python is a good choice.
Skorche Wrote:The truth is that you can learn to program in any language. [...]

You could decide to use <fill in language here> and be perfectly happy.

In fact, you could even decide to use <blank>, although I doubt you'll be perfectly happy with it... Sneaky
Smush
Unregistered

sorry i have some more questions more to this thread...

1) My friend knows VB would that be okay to use?
2) with php because its in with html can i not use html alone?
3) when I use the SQL how is put together ive only ever really touched on it in MS Access
4) If I used PHP what would I use to put the code in Dreamweaver or??? (I have made my own website not all singing all dancing one in notepad but I feel it wont suit here for all the code it will have...
5) I looked up PHP and didn't know what version to get and why are there more than 1 files in each version (do i need them all???)
7)when i downloaded it there was no installer what I do with it Im not used to installing without installers lol
Smush Wrote:sorry i have some more questions more to this thread...

1) My friend knows VB would that be okay to use?
2) with php because its in with html can i not use html alone?
3) when I use the SQL how is put together ive only ever really touched on it in MS Access
4) If I used PHP what would I use to put the code in Dreamweaver or??? (I have made my own website not all singing all dancing one in notepad but I feel it wont suit here for all the code it will have...
5) I looked up PHP and didn't know what version to get and why are there more than 1 files in each version (do i need them all???)
7)when i downloaded it there was no installer what I do with it Im not used to installing without installers lol

1) You could use the old asp+IIS
2) No
3) http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp
4) http://www.sitepoint.com/article/macrome...mweaver-mx
5 & 7) http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html
Sage
I wouldnt recommend you use VB for anything, personally.
As for installing php, open Terminal.app and type "php --version" to see if anything shows up, if it does then you already have it.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
I don't think he is using a Mac due to him not being used to "installing without an installer", otherwise I wouldn't have suggested XAMP(Windows): Apache+PHP+MySql Wink
Smush
Unregistered

lol ok I have windows Blush just that I found the forum on google and saw other threads that had people using windows plus the help on here is first class Smile (I may get linux eventually saw it in use the other day looks pretty cool)

Anyways thanks, im going to try that windows version of php.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  ALT: Creating a text-based RPG?? endkiller 31 21,645 Dec 31, 2008 03:37 PM
Last Post: Hendo
  Text based RPG in Python pipposanta 7 8,536 Feb 27, 2008 09:10 AM
Last Post: pipposanta
  I Need Help Creating A Text Based MMORPG (aka MUD) GoldenLegacy 5 4,667 Dec 10, 2007 01:57 PM
Last Post: AndyKorth
  How to upload scripts for text based game? Gdollaz87 5 4,052 Aug 1, 2007 10:31 PM
Last Post: Gdollaz87
  Java/C++ Sever-side RPG Text Based.. darkdescendent 1 2,439 Oct 27, 2006 07:47 AM
Last Post: BeyondCloister