Why Extreme Programming is Great for Game Development

⌘-R in Chief
i still don't get why you wouldn't unit test. or have i missed the point?
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
Well if you don't get it, then doesn't that mean you missed the point? Smile

After actually reading the article (I posted the link as soon as I saw it and left), it's not really that interesting.
Luminary
It's not really interesting, except that it's a glowing endorsement from someone in the games industry, when games are notoriously difficult to do TDD on. That alone makes it a worthwhile data point, if not a worthwhile read Smile
⌘-R in Chief
That's a good point.
FreakSoftware Wrote:Well if you don't get it, then doesn't that mean you missed the point? Smile

noSmile
it was 3am when i replied, so i didn't explain myself properly.
it should have read:
why wouldn't you unit test? have i missed the point of extreme programming?

but the answer is still yes. i didn't see there was a second page and only read the tdd section.
Quote:XP is not about automated unit-tests, a 40-hour work week, nor is it about pair programming. While most good XP teams do all of those things, they are simply the means to the end of delivering a great product. This is what XP is about – delivering great games.

so, if it's about 'great games', why is it a methodology? surely every(well almost) game dev is focused on making a good game. every dev would have their own way of going about this depending on their project and the collective experiences of the team.

the main point i can see is that the projects design should evolve over the development time. how is it possible not to do this?
Oldtimer
Yeah, I misinterpreted that as well. Unit tests, 40 hour work week and pair programming are all in XP, it's just not what XP is all about. They are parts in XP, but the value is greater than the sum of those parts.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Soliciting ideas for game programming "tips" SethWillits 9 6,663 Apr 13, 2010 10:54 PM
Last Post: reubert
  Game Development in a Post-Agile World SethWillits 7 5,847 Feb 10, 2010 01:06 PM
Last Post: cmiller
  iPhone Game Development--New from O'Reilly Carlos Camacho 1 3,641 Jan 16, 2010 11:54 AM
Last Post: kgutteridge
  Game Programming Blogs? intregus 2 4,563 Jul 1, 2009 12:54 PM
Last Post: intregus
  Getting started with game programming - some newbie questions Neptunus Hirt 16 8,474 Mar 25, 2009 07:57 AM
Last Post: Neptunus Hirt