Segfault in gluBuild2DMipmaps()

A bit of weirdness that I don't quite understand:

I've got code that loads a bunch of images from files and creates textures out of them:

Code:
SDL_Surface* img_data = IMG_Load(path);
        GLuint textureID;

if (img_data == NULL){
            fprintf(stderr, "IMG_Load: %s\n", IMG_GetError());
            exit(1);
        }

// Create Texture    
    glGenTextures(1, &textureID);
    glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textureID);

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,GL_LINEAR);
    glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR​);
    glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S,GL_REPEAT);
    glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T,GL_REPEAT);
    gluBuild2DMipmaps(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_RGBA8, img_data->w, img_data->h, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_INT_8_8_8_8, img_data->pixels);

This works fine for images of varying size, including a background texture I created which was 800x600. I wanted to up the level of detail and have created a 1024x768 texture, which I added, but when the code comes to call gluBuild2DMipmaps() for it, it crashes with a segfault. I'm sure the image format is correct as I've put a breakpoint before the call and checked the img_data struct looks OK (compared to images I know load OK).

Another thing I spotted was if I don't load the 800x600 texture, then the bigger one loads fine. This is suggesting to me that something is running out of memory (VRAM???)

Am I along the right lines? If so can I work around this? Or at least check when I have reached the limit so I can do something nicer than segfault?

Cheers

- Iain
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
What OS are you on? gluBuild2DMipmaps (gluScaleImage, really) would regularly crash for NPOT images or non-RGBA pixel formats on older OSes.

If you're targeting 10.3.9+, you should probably use SGIS_generate_mipmap instead, though of course that won't do the image scaling you seem to require.
I'm still on 10.3.9 (although will me moving to 10.5 when it eventually arrives...)

Is the crashing just buggy GL code, or am I actually doing something wrong? Your NPOT comment reminded me that should I be enabling NPOT textures, or rectangle textures, or something, rather than just straight GL_TEXTURE_2D?

- Iain
Luminary
Mipmapping only works for power-of-two textures*. gluBuild2DMipmaps scales the given image to a power of two before building the mipmaps.

The crashes were just stupid bugs in the OS. Nothing you could do about them. I thought they were fixed by 10.3.9 though. Try RGBA, UNSIGNED_BYTE -- that was the format that could be counted on first.

* unless your OpenGL driver exports ARB_texture_non_power_of_two or OpenGL 2.0, which is currently only available to Intel Macs under 10.4.8.
Sage
IBethune Wrote:...a background texture I created which was 800x600.

Does a "background" even need mipmaps?
Good point, I think i'll add a flag to my image loading code so that individual images can be tagged for mip-mapping, or not.

i.e. I'd use mipmapping for things that are textures in the normal sense (applied to 3D models, where the camera may view from arbitrary angle/distance), and no mip-maps for things which are really just 'images' i.e. will be applied in a glOrtho view e.g. backdrops, buttons, HUD detail etc.

- Iain
Sage
More importantly, you should use RECTANGLE target for your NPOT background/button textures. gluBuild2DMipmaps is squishing your 800x600 to 1024x512, and eating an additional 33% of VRAM for the mipmap chain that you never use.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  EXC_BAD_ACCESS with gluBuild2DMipmaps Marjock 3 3,315 Aug 5, 2007 01:38 AM
Last Post: Marjock
  how to use Glubuild2DMipmaps, GlTexImage2D and glTexParameter 007gamer 1 4,267 Jan 31, 2007 04:36 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie