Frame Based Animation

Sage
I'm working on a small solution to frame based animation and had a matter of debate with myself as to frame lengths. Is there any necessary reason to have individual frames contain a length of time? Implementing it would let some frames be longer than others, but I'm not sure of any logical reason to do so. Are there any instances where such functionality is nice to have? It wouldn't be hard to implement, but I'd rather not spend time on it unless I can think of a reason I might want it later.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
I'm not sure how common it is these days, but the original Prince of Persia had wildly differing frame lengths IIRC.
Sage
I assume you are talking about animating the frames of your sprites?

You could get mostly the same effect by running the animation at a fixed rate and repeating frames. It would be trivial to implement that way, and would give mostly the same effect.

With a small enough time step, (1/60th of a second) the effect would be probably be indistinguishable anyway.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Skorche Wrote:I assume you are talking about animating the frames of your sprites?

You could get mostly the same effect by running the animation at a fixed rate and repeating frames. It would be trivial to implement that way, and would give mostly the same effect.

With a small enough time step, (1/60th of a second) the effect would be probably be indistinguishable anyway.

Er... I assumed that's what the frame duration was going to be used for, deciding how long/how many consecutive frames should the current frame be displayed. Huh
Sage
I was assuming that he meant that each frame would also have a variable time value. What I am saying is that it would be easier, trivial in fact, to just use a fixed animation rate and repeat frames to make them longer.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
I think you should give each frame a display time, something you can tweak to make even four frames look like motion.

Time is a good, use it wisely.

Try Photoshops/Image Ready's animation Palette, there should be a new beta open at the moment.
007gamer
Unregistered

agreen, try Image Ready's animation Palette

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?) wyrmmage 9 7,427 Nov 29, 2006 05:14 PM
Last Post: wyrmmage
  problem with time based animation ferum 5 3,160 Aug 4, 2006 01:45 PM
Last Post: ferum
  Time-Based Animation mdavis1982 7 4,317 Mar 3, 2005 07:27 PM
Last Post: iefan
  variable frame rate animation in Cocoa Damian 3 3,676 Jul 16, 2003 06:00 PM
Last Post: macboy