RFP - Dirk Dashing

RFP = Request for Proposal

I have started porting my latest game, Dirk Dashing: Secret Agent, to Mac. I've got it working on Intel-based Macs, but here is my problem. I'm not sure what I need to do to get it working on PowerPC-based Macs, and even if I did, I have no PowerPC-based Mac to do it on.

I'm looking for a company with experience in porting games to Mac, who has PowerPC-based Macs they can test on, who can take our existing XCode projects and source code and finish the port. It is extremely important to us that the port is finished properly, because we plan to use the core game code as the foundation for future Mac games. The code is cross-platform, fairly well structured, and is designed with reusability in mind. Hopefully, the cost of this little project will be a lot less than buying a PowerPC-based Mac (if one can even find such a computer for sale anymore). And I need someone with a reliable track record that we can trust with our code.

If anyone is interested, or knows of a company that specializes in this kind of work, please e-mail me at: info AT mygamecompany DOT com. Thank you.
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
If the code is all cross platform, Xcode can build universal binaries for you that will work on PPC as well as Intel. If you want to send me over the binary, I can test it on my PowerBook G4. My email is nickgravelyn -at- gmail -dot- com.
GolfHacker Wrote:Hopefully, the cost of this little project will be a lot less than buying a PowerPC-based Mac (if one can even find such a computer for sale anymore).

In the long run owning the computer is going to provide a needed asset for your business.

You can find plenty of powerPC Macs.
Here is your ultimate Super Low End PPC for testing, $200, went on sale yesterday

A list of current G4 sales

and G5 Sales

Thats all local to San Diego through Craigslist.
Luminary
If you have an Intel Mac, you can force a UB to run in Rosetta using the "Get Info" window in the Finder, or by using /usr/libexec/oah/translate on the command-line.

This won't let you debug your application, but it will tell you whether it's likely to work on PowerPC or not. You'll still have to send it out for some beta testing with real hardware when you're done, but it could save you the expense of buying a cheap second-hand PowerPC Mac.
igame3d Wrote:In the long run owning the computer is going to provide a needed asset for your business.

That's a good point. I hadn't thought about that. Even if the port is successful, I still need to be able to test future games. Thanks.

I withdraw my RFP.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dirk Dashing beta is ready! GolfHacker 15 6,516 Feb 26, 2007 08:51 PM
Last Post: GolfHacker
  Porting Dirk Dashing to Mac - build issue GolfHacker 18 7,987 Jan 26, 2007 07:52 AM
Last Post: GolfHacker