Intel Mac Speed

Just FYI: I am not using, nor have I ever used, a case-sensitive drive, but I still am intelligent enough to just specify the paths as they are, regardless of wether or not it will work.

"FooBar" may equal "foobar" in HFS+, but for crying out loud, why not just type the ACTUAL name of the path/file? I mean, seriously. And if you have 200 files with hard-coded paths that were wrong to begin with, I just feel sorry for you. That's bonafide certified bad coding style.
Sage
djork Wrote:Just FYI: I am not using, nor have I ever used, a case-sensitive drive, but I still am intelligent enough to just specify the paths as they are, regardless of wether or not it will work.

"FooBar" may equal "foobar" in HFS+, but for crying out loud, why not just type the ACTUAL name of the path/file? I mean, seriously. And if you have 200 files with hard-coded paths that were wrong to begin with, I just feel sorry for you. That's bonafide certified bad coding style.

talk about rubbing salt into the wound, geez! Sad

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
unknown Wrote:talk about rubbing salt into the wound, geez! Sad

It just seemed like after two pages of this igame3d was still griping about how stupid it was that someone needed the file names match up between the code and the file system.
djork Wrote:Just FYI: I am not using, nor have I ever used, a case-sensitive drive, but I still am intelligent enough to just specify the paths as they are, regardless of wether or not it will work.

"FooBar" may equal "foobar" in HFS+, but for crying out loud, why not just type the ACTUAL name of the path/file? I mean, seriously.

Sure, no-one types the paths differently on purpose, but unless you are using a case-sensitive file system you may never realize they don't match.

...until OSC tries to play your game. Sneaky
Sage
djork Wrote:It just seemed like after two pages of this igame3d was still griping about how stupid it was that someone needed the file names match up between the code and the file system.

I still dont think rubbing salt into a wound will heal it.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
You guys are about a month late on the comments there and the "wounds" are long healed and forgotten.

None of the paths are hard coded, look at you being an assumption junkie.
They are paths to files inside scripts, models, emitters, etc which may
have been edited by hand or by various stages of the application.

If the user hand types data into the file, its less work to type "data/wtf/somefile.wtf" quickly, save, and test instead of "Data/WTF/SomeFile.WTF"
and then checking directories to make sure the case of everything is correct
or bombing out because they held the shift key one stroke too often or short.

I use a case insensitive IDE, FU, Fu, fu, fU all mean and will do the same thing.
So your "good coding practices" are not my good coding practices.

Here's good arguments against case sensitivity
Quote: One "benefit" of case sensitivity is that it outs a certain strain of anal retentive known as the "Case Weenie."

Priceless LOL

The problem on my end is solved and its long past time to move on.
Oldtimer
Quote:The problem on my end is solved and its long past time to move on.
Hear, hear. Thread locked.
Thread Closed