Porting Dirk Dashing to Mac - build issue

Well, personally I consider DMGs as virtual packaging, and whenever I install a new app, I keep the dmg as a backup. If you have your app as 2 different files and for some reason the user needs to reinstall it (say, after an Erase & Install of Leopard in a few months) he/she will need to remember it is a 2-part process, and have both disk images at hand.

Also, what happens when you upgrade your app? Will they need to download both files? A special "patcher" app? Just the main app and then re-run the full version assets installers...?
Quote this message in a reply
These are all good questions, ones that I need to address before distributing on the Mac. But it's hard to definitively answer them until I know what all my options are.
I've been thinking about this a bit for a couple days now. I still don't like installers, but I understand the logical need for purchasable, downloadable, add-on content. I still don't see that users being on dial-up is a relevant factor, but I really like the no-registration-code attitude a lot. I maintain that an installer for the demo portion of the app completely sucks. After that, I might be cool with the game and would likely be willing to trust that the developer isn't a knob. So hypothetically, after the demo, you should be able to get the user to download `an installer' for the rest of the game and be happy. A `patch' installer would be a similar concept. Making clear note ahead of time that the installer only adds additional content to the demo to make it the full version, and doesn't touch anything else on the system, would be bonus brownie points. Smile

Maybe it would be possible to treat downloadable, add-on content as a document. Since the file type would be associated with the app, upon double-clicking it the app would launch and know what to do with it. Then the app could move it to the app bundle and be done. I've never tried writing to the app bundle, so maybe there is a permissions issue there that I don't know about, but it seems like a decent idea... [edit] I think I'm dancing around the same notion OSC [edit2] AND maximile [/edit2] was hitting at earlier. [/edit]
AnotherJake Wrote:I maintain that an installer for the demo portion of the app completely sucks. After that, I might be cool with the game and would likely be willing to trust that the developer isn't a knob.

I appreciate that you took the time to think about this matter and share your thoughts. Thanks! As I've said, I definitely want to deliver an install experience that feels natural for Mac users. It sounds like I can use the Mac PackageMaker to create a patch/update installer for it, so hopefully it will look like something Mac users have seen before with other programs.

To others on this forum: how do you feel about this idea? If you feel the same, then maybe this is a viable solution for me. On the other hand, if the hairs on the back of your neck start to rise, then maybe I need to keep looking for another solution. Smile

AnotherJake Wrote:Making clear note ahead of time that the installer only adds additional content to the demo to make it the full version, and doesn't touch anything else on the system, would be bonus brownie points. Smile

Good point. I'll make a note of this so it is clear to users who want to purchase the Mac version.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dirk Dashing beta is ready! GolfHacker 15 6,516 Feb 26, 2007 08:51 PM
Last Post: GolfHacker
  RFP - Dirk Dashing GolfHacker 4 3,621 Jan 22, 2007 07:54 AM
Last Post: GolfHacker
  Debug build works on Panther, but not Release build... TomorrowPlusX 4 4,107 Jun 24, 2005 09:25 AM
Last Post: TomorrowPlusX