Creating a shortcut icon on desktop ??

asobo
Unregistered

Hi,

I'm currently doing the installer for a commercial game and I couldn't find how to create a shortcut (alias ?) programaticaly on the desktop to my game executable.

This code would be called through Package maker's postflight script, so it could be either AppleScript, shell (bash etc) or Carbon C++ ...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks !

Florent Tournade.
Asobo Studio
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
ln,
but please dont do that id hate that so much if a game did that.
this is mac, not windows remember Smile

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Agreed. Any alias made on the desktop would be immediately deleted by me. In fact, you shouldn't even have an installer: 90% of all Mac programs are installed by drag and drop.
BAD USER EXPERIENCE:

- add aliases to the desktop
- add stuff to the Dock (which causes the Dock to restart)

BETTER USER EXPERIENCE:

- open the folder containing the app you just installed

BEST USER EXPERIENCE:

- show a dialog when installation is complete saying where the app has been installed

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Luminary
Icon on Desktop =Bad
Installer = Super Bad

Things on the Mac should drag and drop install.
OneSadCookie Wrote:Installer = Super Bad

Specially those that require an Admin password, or those that need to close all open apps *shiver*

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Nibbie
or even worse... *shudders* dare I mention restart?
bye-bye three months of uptime!

See, unlike windows, mac applications keep their data inside their package (the .app); so installation is unnecessary.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Religious responses aside, this page may have some information you'd find useful.

For the rest of you, let's try to be a little bit more useful than just screaming your opinions as loud as possible, shall we? Think of what this thread looks like to a newcomer who just started it.
ThemsAllTook Wrote:Religious responses aside, this page may have some information you'd find useful.

For the rest of you, let's try to be a little bit more useful than just screaming your opinions as loud as possible, shall we? Think of what this thread looks like to a newcomer who just started it.

unknown answered the question in the first reply - it looks like asobo knows enough to do a quick "man ln". And it looks like everyone agrees with the Apple guidelines you posted; that apps on Mac OS X should be done with a drag-and-drop install wherever possible.
maximile Wrote:unknown answered the question in the first reply - it looks like asobo knows enough to do a quick "man ln".
Ah, that's what that is! I assumed it was either random characters or some sort of typo. My mistake, though since I missed it after reading his message several times, the original poster may have, too...
ThemsAllTook Wrote:Ah, that's what that is! I assumed it was either random characters or some sort of typo. My mistake, though since I missed it after reading his message several times, the original poster may have, too...

You're not the only one. I thought it was a poorly typed Hi or some new annoying internet craze.
Sage
Yeah I didnt know I had a personal army to back me up when I state an opinion on the forum LOL
hehe

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Well, it helps when everybody else has the same opinion. Rasp
Yeah, I share it. Don't screw with my desktop.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  itunes: upload new app, but the icon in device has not the red "1" sefiroths 10 9,254 Oct 9, 2012 01:31 AM
Last Post: sefiroths
  changing mouse icon in cocoa Leroy 13 6,871 Sep 4, 2007 07:10 PM
Last Post: SethWillits