Macworld 2007 Keynote

AnotherJake Wrote:it apparently only outputs 720p (lame, should be at least 1080i)
The tv page seems to imply that it does 1080i...

http://www.apple.com/appletv/connect.html Wrote:Apple TV works with widescreen, enhanced-definition or high-definition TVs capable of 1080i, 720p, 576p, or 480p resolutions
...though "works with" doesn't necessarily mean "supports as a native resolution".
Quote this message in a reply
It is kind of ironic that technology between the US and the UK is so different when it comes to these two new devices.

As I mentioned before, the US is way behind in all things mobile telephones.
However take up of HD TV has been very slow over here. Any forums discussing the Apple TV, and other video related stuff, seems to be full of Americans being almost obsessive about HD playback.
Luminary
The AppleTV is way too locked down to be at all interesting to me, particularly without any TV programs or movies on the iTMS over here.

However, once the geeks figure out how to put Gentoo on it, it'd make a small, cool, quiet server box, at a reasonable price. That's much more interesting to me.

As for the iPhone, ask again when it finally gets over here in a couple of years' time. But as it stands, it's *way* too expensive, I feel. I'm also not sure I'd want a device that large -- the iPod nano is a good size. Still, it's the first phone UI I've seen that's made any kind of usable sense, so maybe the larger size'd be worth it for that.
@ ThemsAllTook: Yeah, that's why I put in the `apparently' disclaimer. Everything I've read, including the words from Steve himself at the keynote, indicate it does 720p, but the specs do indeed imply 1080i. Which leads to the next subject:

BeyondCloister Wrote:...and other video related stuff, seems to be full of Americans being almost obsessive about HD playback.
Well, I don't know about `obsessive', but when you pay over two grand for a TV you kinda want it to do what you paid for! I think the reason there is so much discussion about it is because the TV industry (whatever that may comprise) has done an absolutely *horrible* job of standardizing anything -- Component, DVI, HDMI, all used for essentially the same input for example (yes, I know, there are differences). Then optical, RCA, or coaxial digital for audio, as another example. Therein lies the appearance of an `obsession'. It's NUTZ!!! If HDTV hasn't caught on yet in the UK, consider yourself lucky that we're the poor blokes that get to sort it out for you ahead of time. Wacko

More obsession:

aark Wrote:I was just planning on connecting a Mini to a TV, if I ever get one, using a cable like this one:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...re=TL952LL%2FA
A friend of mine tried that, but the display size output from his Mini wouldn't synch up with the size that his HDTV expected. I think I read somewhere that Apple's Display prefs automatically detect if a TV is hooked up to the DVI output, and a special size customization option is then made available. That didn't happen for him though, so I guess YMMV.

I have also been thinking about plugging my Mini into my TV but I'm not done using it as my primary Mac yet, so that'll have to wait. My Sony Bravia HDTV has a VGA input so hopefully that'll make it easier when the time comes. [added] Unfortunately, I'd lose the all-digital signal going through VGA though...[/added]
ferum Wrote:Neither do I. I suppose it might be convient if you have tons of movies and tv shows downloaded from iTunes, but I have never downloaded anything from the iTunes store.

You will...You Will
Yoda para-quote necessary, since even George Lucas has said
that the days of the big screen theatre is dead with downloadable
media you can watch throwing a rose into its grave. I may
have embellished a bit there, but he's producing episodes for digital download,
bypassing the entire theatre and dvd distribution middlemen and going
straight for the profits.

The iphone is not a phone, and itunes store is not just music and movies.

Its the future of computing...already you can get games for ipod.
Now anything you can run well in OS X at 400 mhz can be run on
this new device, which is a computer, not a phone.

Don't let the marketing fool you. Its called a phone to sell it to that Monster Market, watch the keynote again.

Now everyone who is ready to spend, stop for a moment...contemplate....

What will Apple have to release in its macmini, imac, and macbook
lines to get anywhere close to the cool factor of the iphone?

Keep an eye on WWDC.

Personally I've never had a PDA, didn't want a cell phone, never needed an mp3 player. This iPhone I want, purely for the ability to run/make games on an Apple handheld, been expecting this since pocket calculators.

Now the first one of these wonders I'll ever buy will have motion sensing, wifi, touch screen, hi res color output on a modern OS, with the internet...oh my....the games to make!

Can't wait for the amazing hacks, like running WIndows or PSP emulator, macmame...

Its a brave new world.

This Video of Multi-Touch is at least a year old, see it again, imagine it in your hand

Google Earth and World of Warcraft Multitouch with Voice Recognition
Nibbie
I've had a PDA, I've had a MP3 player, right now I'm using my W800i for mp3, radio and sometimes(when I'm _really_ desperate) video.
Sounds perfect for me Grin
Tough what I'm most interested in is how long that touch-screen is going to last in my pocket.
I can't say I'm terribly excited about AppleTV yet- I don't have a whole lot of non-music content yet (Besides every damn episode of LOST) in my Library to justify it. Once I start buying some movies and a few more TV shows I'll be all over this thing.

The iPhone looks amazing. Yes, it's expensive (about $100-150 over the current top-of-the-line smartphones) but I don't think it would bother me much, considering the coolness and usability factors it has over the monstrosities that are on the market now.

The size doesn't irk me either- it's definitely a different shape than my current phone (it's wider, taller, but about half as thick.) It's almost exactly the same as a 5G iPod though, which I carry around easily and would have no problem sticking to my face.

I also worry about the touch-screen in my pocket, though- if I forget to lock the thing (and I will) exactly what chaos will ensue? Also, I love that it's such a beautiful piece of technology, but I know it won't stay that way for long in my pockets and in my dirty mitts.

As for games on the iPhone, I hope it will be open to developers, but I haven't seen or heard anything one way or the other yet. But even if not, a widget game certainly looks feasible.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
AnotherJake Wrote:The only things for me not to like are the price, and that 8 Gigs just ain't enough anymore.
Yeah, I'm hoping the price will go down on the 2nd gen. The thing that I don't like is the battery life. I mean, come on, 5 hours? That's not even a whole school day. But the memory options don't bother me, even 4GB is fine by me. That's at least 1000 songs! my whole iTunes library is only 1136 songs and that includes all of my mom and sister's songs. Though when I get one I will probably get subscriptions to the Daily Show and the Colbert Report and want to watch those, so I will probably want the 8GB model. I will probably wait till 2nd Gen for three reasons: 1) Jobs will probably add a bunch of cool stuff to it, 2) I don't and probably won't need a cell phone until I go off to college, and 3) By then I can get it as a gift (either birthday or graduation). Grin
OneSadCookie Wrote:As for the iPhone, ask again when it finally gets over here in a couple of years' time. But as it stands, it's *way* too expensive, I feel. I'm also not sure I'd want a device that large -- the iPod nano is a good size. Still, it's the first phone UI I've seen that's made any kind of usable sense, so maybe the larger size'd be worth it for that.

Well, they said:
US: June 2007
Europe: End of 2007
Asia: 2008
Latin America: ? Sneaky Mad (2010???)

Also, I just pictured trying to use "multi touch" on my nano Wacko - I can barely *see* that small screen!

In any case, if Apple doesn't release a public, *free* SDK for it then I definitely won't be spending that much money on it.
Some speculation about the iPhone processor:
http://daringfireball.net/2007/01/iphone_arm

Quote:The lack of an Intel shout-out or logo during the keynote led me to believe it was “not Intel”, and Intel itself has officially confirmed that they are not involved with the iPhone.
Nibbie
Well, the iPhone looks nifty, but I think they might pull some kind of "it's really just a code name, it's actually the Phone" deal. There are two reasonably simple reasons why I would buy this no other questions asked:

1. development support for ME. I'm one of those guys who Steve thanked for making the intel jump by coding UB stuff, I'm one of those guys who Steve thanked for buying an intel mac. If Apple pulls another high and mighty ipod software lockout deal again... well. I'll be pissed. Especially with multitouch. I mean, think of the possibilities. Multiplayer touch screen pong? All sorts of mechanical crazy contraption games. I was really impressed by Enigmo for PocketPC. It really worked on a touch screen, but I always thought it would work better with multitouch... Smile . I don't think I'm being greedy, I'm sure everyone else wants this too.

2. An unlocked/no plan option. Sure, you're not going to have uber voice mail, but the truth is, a phone is a phone, and if I have any choice (which I usually do), I'll just use skype. There's skype for Linux, Mac, PC, and PocketPC. I want skype for iPhone.
ferum Wrote:I mean, come on, 5 hours? That's not even a whole school day.
Are you on the phone nonstop for the entire day? Presumably, that's 5 hours of actual use, not 5 hours of sitting in your pocket doing nothing...
Apple.com Wrote:Ports and interfaces
HDMI (video and audio)
Component video
Optical audio
Analog RCA stereo audio
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
USB 2.0 (for service and diagnostics)
802.11n wireless networking
Built-in IR receiver (works with included Apple Remote)

Add that to bits of this story:
http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?pro...c_Port.txt

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Joseph Duchesne Wrote:There are two reasonably simple reasons why I would buy this no other questions asked:

1. development support for ME. I'm one of those guys who Steve thanked for making the intel jump by coding UB stuff, I'm one of those guys who Steve thanked for buying an intel mac. If Apple pulls another high and mighty ipod software lockout deal again... well. I'll be pissed. Especially with multitouch. I mean, think of the possibilities. Multiplayer touch screen pong? All sorts of mechanical crazy contraption games. I was really impressed by Enigmo for PocketPC. It really worked on a touch screen, but I always thought it would work better with multitouch... Smile . I don't think I'm being greedy, I'm sure everyone else wants this too.

2. An unlocked/no plan option. Sure, you're not going to have uber voice mail, but the truth is, a phone is a phone, and if I have any choice (which I usually do), I'll just use skype. There's skype for Linux, Mac, PC, and PocketPC. I want skype for iPhone.

Yeah, both would be nice. I think the first is definitely probable, but I wouldn't count on ever seeing the second. I think its probably pretty likely that Apple has a contract with Cingular that says they aren't allowed to sell the iPhone without mandating a 2-year contract with Cingular. I don't really mind, Cingular has pretty good coverage everywhere I would want to use it. Tons better than Verizon, which is just crap.

EDIT: never mind, the first is impossible.
ThemsAllTook Wrote:Are you on the phone nonstop for the entire day? Presumably, that's 5 hours of actual use, not 5 hours of sitting in your pocket doing nothing...

True, I take that back. It does beat the 30GB iPod, and just barely misses beating the 80GB.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Danlab lookalike in Google I/O Keynote funkboy 5 1,679 May 17, 2013 07:47 AM
Last Post: Skorche
  Macworld/iWorld 2013? funkboy 4 2,883 Jan 23, 2013 01:56 AM
Last Post: funkboy
  Developer Perspectives 2007 igame3d 23 9,602 Apr 23, 2007 06:15 AM
Last Post: monteboyd