OBJ model drawing

Luminary
I would never do it in a computer game; I'd always do it as an offline conversion, and load a sane format within the game. That doesn't mean it doesn't need to be done.
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
unknown Wrote:This is really not somthing you should do at load time in a computer game, you should always store files in a format thats at least somewhat close to what you _want_.

You mean like using raw pixels instead of PNG files?

There are a good number of reasons you don't want to do as you've said including compatibility and size.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Sage
OneSadCookie Wrote:I would never do it in a computer game; I'd always do it as an offline conversion, and load a sane format within the game. That doesn't mean it doesn't need to be done.
I think I would only move to VBOs and so on if I was actually having speed issues, but then again im lazy Rasp

Skorche Wrote:You mean like using raw pixels instead of PNG files?

There are a good number of reasons you don't want to do as you've said including compatibility and size.

More like SVG instead of PNG.
About compatibility, I see a lot the big games using their own custom file formats (like BSP), some games do use mostly documented formats though.. but well, I dont think compatibility is an issue, if your game works it works.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
unknown Wrote:I think I would only move to VBOs and so on if I was actually having speed issues, but then again im lazy Rasp
VBOs still require only 1 set of indices. The only way to get around the problem without re-ordering the vertices would be if you were to draw in immediate mode or put them in a display list.