NSWindow frame message not returning correct values after moving the window

Svarog
Unregistered

Hi,

I've noticed that if I move the window and then call [window frame], the values returned are the same as those before the window was moved. I can't seem to find any way to get the correct and up to date window position through Cocoa.

The only workaround I found was to call:

GetWindowBounds([window windowRef], kWindowContentRgn, &cont);

Is there a better way of doing this?

More importantly, do I even need to do this? The main reason I need this is to find the center of the window so I can reposition the mouse to the center to prevent the app from losing focus if the user clicks a mouse button.

And is there a graceful way to release the mouse if the user hits Cmd-Tab? Can I somehow detect this from the application to release the mouse and unhide it if it was hidden?

Thanks,

Svarog
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
You might be better of making a CGEventTap and dropping mouse pressed event.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Luminary
As discussed on IRC, the window -frame misbehavior appears to be caused by your app not having a CGS connection due to you not starting up in the usual manner -- if you can make your window activate, I'm sure -frame will start working too.

You can detect your application being made inactive in the NSApplication delegate.
Svarog
Unregistered

OneSadCookie Wrote:As discussed on IRC, the window -frame misbehavior appears to be caused by your app not having a CGS connection due to you not starting up in the usual manner -- if you can make your window activate, I'm sure -frame will start working too.

You can detect your application being made inactive in the NSApplication delegate.

I've ran into the same problem when using the Interface Builder to create a nib file. However I've finally found what the problem is. I was on a completely wrong track.
The problem lies with the nextEventMatchingMask message.
If I manually handle all the events, certain things don't get updated.
After adding [NSApp sendEvent: event] to forward the events to other objects everything worked correctly.

I did come across something else that's a bit of a pain. I can work around it but I'm curious as to why it doesn't work. Maybe I should start a new thread for that?

Basically if I spawn off a separate thread for event handling using [NSThread detachNewThreadSelector...], [NSApp nextEventMatchingMask...] always returns nil.
However if I just call [NSApp nextEventMatchingMask...] from the main thread it works fine.
I've setup the NSAutoreleasePool in the thread, is there anything else that I might be missing?

Svarog
Luminary
Events are always dispatched on the main thread in Mac OS X.
Svarog
Unregistered

OneSadCookie Wrote:Events are always dispatched on the main thread in Mac OS X.

Yes but NSApp is a global variable - I thought that the nextEventMatchingMask message would work on it all the same regardless of which thread I call it from.

Also SDL appears to create a separate thread for event handling although it's using pthreads whereas I'm was trying to use NSThread.

Svarog
Luminary
To say it more clearly: you cannot handle events from any thread other than the main thread on Mac OS X.

I don't know what SDL is doing, or whether it works on Mac OS X, but I suspect that it's not doing what you think it is.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Die-hard vertex-sorting function not accepting input values! mikey 6 3,816 Oct 31, 2009 03:36 AM
Last Post: mikey
  Previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?) wyrmmage 9 7,305 Nov 29, 2006 05:14 PM
Last Post: wyrmmage
  Converting integer/numeric values to Strings vnvrymdreglage 5 3,601 Oct 23, 2006 07:18 PM
Last Post: vnvrymdreglage
  [NSWindow center] not centering maaaaark 9 7,151 Mar 13, 2005 12:34 PM
Last Post: maaaaark
  Adding message handlers rove 3 4,077 Mar 13, 2005 08:53 AM
Last Post: sealfin