2-D game engine

Chris _h
Unregistered

Hi im new here im sorry i this is in the wrong section but does anyone have a free 2-D game engine with some tutorials cause im kind of new to this and im working on a 2-D game and all i need is the programming now.
Annoyed
Quote this message in a reply
Free? uhh... TNTBasic is free... but there are less than 15 active forum members left...

What do you mean? 2-D engine? eg. Torque? or you know a language already? >.> Are you willing to learn a programming language if you don't know one already?
Sage
What kind of 2D game engine do you want,
what would you like to be able to do with it?
what features would you require, etc etc?

(im looking for a project to take on :] )

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
There's this: http://www.grinninglizard.com/kyra/
Not that I've ever used it, but I downloaded the source a year or so ago to educate myself with (and then didn't).

There's also these:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%...arch&meta=
If you're planning a side scroller of some kind, there's Power Game Factory.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Apprentice
Power Game Factory is very nice for 2D side-scollers.
You could check out NovaShell, it seems promising.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
Take a look at Torque Game Builder. I have no first hand experience, so I can't really reccommend it--try it out yourself before buying.

Also, do take a look at BlitzMax. It's not an engine, per se, but it is a very simple language to learn and works well for 2D stuff.
I haven't had a chance to check this out yet but PlayFirst just released their Playground SDK.
"Processing is an open source programming language and environment for people who want to program images, animation, and sound. It is used by students, artists, designers, architects, researchers, and hobbyists for learning, prototyping, and production. It is created to teach fundamentals of computer programming within a visual context and to serve as a software sketchbook and professional production tool. Processing is developed by artists and designers as an alternative to proprietary software tools in the same domain."
http://processing.org/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Install "Torque Game Engine Advanced" Problem mahdavi 1 4,049 May 25, 2009 11:48 AM
Last Post: SethWillits
  TrueBones Animations in Game Engine mrbones 0 3,075 Mar 29, 2008 12:22 AM
Last Post: mrbones
  Adventure game engine? sippan 33 16,155 Nov 13, 2006 03:04 PM
Last Post: Steven
  Importance of an 'engine' in a basic game. seven 13 7,734 Jan 20, 2005 01:28 PM
Last Post: ravuya
  Blender Game engine snickrep 5 4,993 May 19, 2003 03:20 PM
Last Post: stevejohnson