windows C++ -> mac C++ dev

Apprentice
Hi i just got a new mac! anyways i have done some games windows C++ in visual studios. I want to start programming games for the mac. I dled xcode today and don't know anything... Sad can someone plz tell me how to get started or how to make a c++ app? i'm completely lost with xcode....
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
In Xcode choose New Project (Command shift N) then select C++ Tool in the Command Line Utility section.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
If you're set on C++, you can use Carbon (a C API). Here's a place to start: http://developer.apple.com/referencelibr...index.html

If you'd be interested in learning Cocoa (an Objective-C API, which is easier to use than Carbon in a lot of ways), here's another place to start: http://developer.apple.com/referencelibr...index.html
Also, check out some SDL or OpenGL if you know it...

Also, if you just want to build from command line, I could suggest SCons (scons.org).
Apprentice
thank u this should be just what i was looking for since i used to develop for the windows 32 API, Smile I'll let u know if i have any problems,
Note: you can use pretty much any project template for your C++ sources. I usually go with a Carbon app instead of a C++ tool.
Apprentice
are there any tutorials on making a basic carbon c++ app in xcode. all those resources are great for when i start using graphics and stuff. i need something to start out simple like maybe a tutorial on making a program with a window that draws a box in it?
Apprentice
I went here http://onesadcookie.com/Tutorials to see if i could get a window working, i got to the add framework step and went to project but couldn't find add framework in the dropdown menu Sad help?
Sage
You can just drag and drop the framework into your project!

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Right click on one of the groups (usually Frameworks or one of the groups under Frameworks), and under the "Add" sub-menu, go down to Existing Frameworks, then find your framework. (often faster than finding the framework in Finder, especially since it starts in /System/Library/)
Apprentice
ok i finished the tutorial, i have a few questions. can u use GLUT with c++ when making mac programs? or was that c++? i wasnt sure if what u make in that tutorial was a carbon or cocoa app. Sad also where can i find more tutorials or programming resources for GLUT? it seems like a pretty easy way to do graphics on the mac os,

i found this for more GLUT tutorials http://www.lighthouse3d.com/opengl/glut/index.php?1 (starts learning) now i just need to find a resource page with all the funtions and stuff GLUT has.... *looks at page* ok so is GLUT crossplatform? can i still use that tutorial to create mac programs in GLUT? sorry just a little confused with all this new stuff... Blush
since it included an cocoa framework, I can be pretty certain that was a cocoa app. and I think it is C. Otherwise, I don't know how I'd have understood it. (I have begun learning C, not C++)
Luminary
GLUT is cross-platform.

The implementation of GLUT for Mac OS X is written in Cocoa; that's why you need the Cocoa framework. In the normal scheme of things you would call your app a "GLUT app", not a "Carbon app" or a "Cocoa app", though.

Mac OS X includes the man pages for all the GLUT functions. Try eg.
Code:
man glutGet
Apprentice
thanks, that should help in searching for information on GLUT, there seem to be lots of tutorials and resources for it so it should be easy to use.

sorry what r man pages? and where do i type in that code to get to them?
Sage
Open up the Terminal. It's in Applications->Utilities. Then just type in man X where X is the function you want to know about. Such as
Code:
man glutGet
like OSC showed.

To scroll, you just use the arrows. Hit Q if you want to quit the man page and then you can type in another one if you'd like.