Advice re: using a 'sale banner', on AppStore icon..

I've noticed a few alls on the AppStore, using some form of 'sale banner', on their AppStore icons.

For example: http://grab.by/55pb

I'm wondering if Apple are against this kind of thing, because so few Apps do it, plus, with the small icon having to be a re-scaled version of the full size, AppStore icon.

Any thoughts on how to get this kind of thing past Apple? (obviouly it is possible, because it does happen).
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
I don't think they are that strict about it really. There used to be tons of apps like that. I think the novelty and effectiveness wore off when 90% of the top 100 apps had those banners on them.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Ah right, thanks Scott. Smile

There doesn't seem to be too many apps doing it now though. I managed to get a little banner on Qwak, unsure if that's going to be a good thing or not...

http://grab.by/56bL

What do you think?
I'm wondering it Apple frown on this kind of thing? Quite soon after I added the banner, my App was removed from their featured areas (while it was dramatically increasing in profits). I'm wondering it the two (adding a sale banner, and, being removed from their featured sections) are related?!
Sage
Did they outright remove it or did it just get replaced with new featured apps? You were on for like a week right? That was all we got for Crayon Ball and Twilight Golf.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
On for I think 2 weeks in total. One week in New and Noteworthy. One week in What's Hot. I'm guessing they refresh their lists every Thursday ... also ... their decision to drop an App from their lists is probably based on how much money it's making them. So might be completely unrelated to it having a sale banner on the icon.

Nice to know how it works though, and if you're doing something Apple don't like, and would cause them to remove your featured status etc.

Ho hum!
Jamie W Wrote:I'm wondering it Apple frown on this kind of thing?
From the iTunes Connect Developer Guide:
Quote:Do not place “Sale” banners on large/small icons or screenshots. Also, sale information should not be referenced in application names.

In a recent update to the iPhone developer news feed they also say:
Quote:Keep your application icons free of terms like "sale," "lite," or "free."

I'd call that frowning - though I'd bet there are over 50K apps with "Free" or "Lite" in the icon already.
Wow, I'm suprised they don't like the use of 'LITE' over an icon. I'm looking in iTunes on the featured areas, and there doesn't seem to be many apps that use 'SALE' over their icons...
Frank C. Wrote:From the iTunes Connect Developer Guide:

In a recent update to the iPhone developer news feed they also say:

I'd call that frowning - though I'd bet there are over 50K apps with "Free" or "Lite" in the icon already.

I'm thinking this is part of trying to get developers to move to the in-app purchase method rather than two different apps to have a 'demo' version. They probably won't do anything about apps that already exist but may start rejecting new ones with "Free" or "Lite" in the icons.
I do an interesting tactic that I think contributes positively to my app's sales:
[Image: appstore_mice.png]

Haven't seen anybody else do this... and it shows up a little smaller when searching, but it is still legible... sort of:
[Image: appstore_mice_search.png]

What do people think of this? It may border a little on spammy, but it does give an idea that "hey, my app was reviewed very well by at least one well-known group."

I talked to the magazine about it and they had no problems with me using the rating like this, since they did award it to me in a published article. Probably helps them get noticed a little bit, too.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Slick, effective, genius, borderline evil.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  "Icon dimensions (0 x 0) don't meet the size requirement" + Xcode 3.2.5 sealfin 0 2,677 Jul 15, 2012 10:31 AM
Last Post: sealfin
  Advertising in AppStore NikaGrig 5 8,513 Feb 22, 2011 09:40 PM
Last Post: Holmes
  Transparent iPad Icon? Bersaelor 4 5,923 Aug 25, 2010 01:01 PM
Last Post: KittyMac
  What to use for URL to my game in iTunes/AppStore? Jamie W 4 6,781 May 28, 2010 01:49 PM
Last Post: AndyKorth
  57 pix App Icon vs. 512pix iTunes icon Bersaelor 5 5,455 May 3, 2010 07:35 AM
Last Post: Skorche