Game comments

rdg06
Unregistered

I was also very grateful for the feedback from the judges and one or two others who tried and mentioned something about my game. Oddly enough, I am not a gamer but I love creating games and hope to make more. So, I don't really know how games "should be". I am sorry that my controls were frustrating - I went by what felt good to me instead of conventional wisdom. However, I am revising the game for a final release and would really like to make it more user-friendly. If anyone could tell me how to make the controls better, I would be very grateful.
Thanks. Oh, and not just the controls - anything that might improve it (though I only have a few days before the Unity trial license runs out and I want to make a Windows build...)
Quote this message in a reply
Nibbie
Well. It's been a fun yet stessing experience for me, the author of Ghost Warder. Unfortunately it seemes my game didn't run for two of the judges, and that's too bad, because I really had a story to tell. The feedback I got was mostly that it was interesting in its mood. And I take pride in that. That sounds "unique" to me.
This was my first Unity project and my first 3D-game ever, so I wasn't expecting much. Still. I can't help but wonder if I had been more of a contender had my build actually run...
I'm sure we all gave it our best, and that we are better people because of it.
Now I'm looking forward to my consolation prize. 9 sweet months of Unity goodness.
Apprentice
Just got back from skiing and read the news! Thanks for the nice feedback judges & everyone. True, only the breathing gameplay aspect made it through given the time frame of the contest Sad

Hope future contests have a more level playing field (entrants who started before the contest unsurprisingly won favor). Same for ported entries.

Nonetheless... Congrats to all who won! Yoggy, I knew you could do it! =))
Casemon Wrote:Hope future contests have a more level playing field (entrants who started before the contest unsurprisingly won favor). Same for ported entries.

I feel obliged to mention that the 2nd place entry (mine) was implemented entirely within the time limit. I even lost a few days to a false start.

I'm not saying that to brag, just to demonstrate that the deck isn't so stacked that it isn't possible to do pretty well in the time limit given.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Apprentice
Yes, Matt, I didn't mean to lump you in with that. To me you are the shining exception and I salute you!
Casemon Wrote:Yes, Matt, I didn't mean to lump you in with that. To me you are the shining exception and I salute you!

I'm not sure you're understanding his point. He isn't asking for you to "salute" him. He's asking you not to hold a grudge against the winning entries, or the contest, because you didn't win.
BeyondCloister Wrote:Now for a couple of general questions.

Are we going to get a break down of the scores? I would be especially interested to see the originality scores versus age of the judges.

Could we get a list of the specs of the machines each judge was using? This would be useful in letting us know the range of computers are entries currently perform on.

Can the lack of a response to these questions be taken to mean that unfortunately we will not be getting this information?

I am also slightly disappointed that none of the judges replied to the questions I asked of them.
Shivers Wrote:I'm not sure you're understanding his point. He isn't asking for you to "salute" him. He's asking you not to hold a grudge against the winning entries, or the contest, because you didn't win.

Yes. The salute was just a bonus. :-)

Although I stuck to the 30 days, that's not to say that I didn't have one or two advantages over other developers. I'm sure some people would view my prior experience with Unity as an unfair advantage, for example. Whereas I would look at my own lack of artistic ability and the many demands on my time (job, family) and claim that I am at a disadvantage. Who can say?

Better to focus on what's in your control, rather than what is not. Figure out what your advantages are and leverage them. For example, I'm perpetually short of time but I happened to have a bit of money, so I bought Unity Indie for the OMG contest last year. And I lack artistic ability but I've been fortunate enough to attract contributions from people who have some. (If I'd been more pro-active on that front I could have teamed up with someone.) You get the idea.

One major advantage I had for 3DU is that I have been entering one iDG contest a year since 2002. They are never easy but I have a pretty good feel now how my entry is going and where to best spend my remaining time. So even losing can pay off in the long run.

Just my opinion.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
BeyondCloister Wrote:Can the lack of a response to these questions be taken to mean that unfortunately we will not be getting this information?

I am also slightly disappointed that none of the judges replied to the questions I asked of them.

Carlos seems to be really busy lately, so he may have put it in his mile-long to-do list Wink

And... you didn't ask me any questions Wink
Apprentice
Shivers; "I'm not sure you're understanding" my point, there is no grudge here. And from what I read, MattDiamond isn't addressing me as holding one.

Try re-reading the post and you'll see I'm just one person who had just read the news, offered thanks, a comment to increase the fairness & professionalism of future contests, and finally an honest congrats to the declared winners. Nothing more.

Of course you are free to dismiss / ignore the comments as you wish, but why come down on me for my opinions?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  3DU contest comments Najdorf 23 12,821 Dec 22, 2006 09:21 AM
Last Post: dtaylorl