Need help for teaching Game Design

tomtodia
Unregistered

My name is Tom and I teach Audio design at Full Sail in orlando Fl.

We are teaching our students the very basic and simple side of implementing audio into a video game.

What I am searching for is a small game that is open enough to allow us to add our own sounds to it. We can change out sounds and let the students see what kinds of issues come up when implementing audio into a game.

It would be great if I could find a small freeware game, and the simplest of implementaion tools to use with it.

I develop some game audio for PC based games, but we a re a MAC school and our students have macbook pros, and G5 stations in thier labs.

I would love any advice or guidance on this, thanks ahead of time for the support.

Tom Todia
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Well, tooting my own whistle, but I had difficulties getting good sound for Outnumbered -- http://onesadcookie.com/Software

If you navigate into the application bundle (right click in the Finder, show package contents) you'll find all the sounds are just .ogg files. Replacing them should work fine.

Note -- the music should be stereo, the other sounds are spatially localized, so they should be mono.

There's a good mix of sounds there -- some frequent, some infrequent, some loud, some quiet, some looped, some not.

Many indie Mac games will work the same way, so if you don't like mine, try the same technique on others to see if they work the same way.

If you do use mine, I'd love to hear the results Smile
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Game design feedback tross 12 15,229 Yesterday 07:14 PM
Last Post: Xuan92
  Workflow - tried and tested for game design marchon 0 718 May 1, 2014 09:40 AM
Last Post: marchon
  Apps for game design? XxHeadShotxX 9 14,145 Aug 14, 2012 05:28 AM
Last Post: EastbayHill
  any suggestion for game poster design jc82111 3 4,541 Jun 20, 2012 02:27 AM
Last Post: James Andy
  Board Game Design ahnona84 0 2,767 Oct 31, 2011 11:54 PM
Last Post: ahnona84