Open source alternatives

ootoovak
Unregistered

Hello everyone,

I have recently been looking around for development software to throw together some games and/or AI research projects. Torque and Unity do look interesting but I was also wondering about open source alternatives.

Now I am quite familiar with Qt4 and like it quite a bit but I if I decide that my project is good enough I may want to sell it and under the GPL I would not be able to do so. Because of this LGPL would be preferable but I am still interested in GPL products as well as research projects would most likely not turn in to marketable products.

With that out of the way I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the following packages or can suggest any other ones that they have found helpful when developing on OS X or PPC based Linux.

Orge - http://www.ogre3d.org/
ClanLib - http://www.clanlib.org/
Open Dynamics Engine - http://ode.org/
Bullet - http://www.continuousphysics.com/Bullet/

Thanks for the help in advance,
Sam
Quote this message in a reply
For AI stuff, check breve
ootoovak
Unregistered

Hay thanks PowerMacX. I had completely forgot about that package. Before I started in Comp Sci I had downloaded the screensaver version of this.
You may want to check out Irrlicht also.
Sage
I have used Ogre and only have good things to say about it. The initial setting up an app (without using their tutorial class) can be tricky, but all the rest is a rather small learning curve. I recommend at least trying it out. Plus it has lots of advanced features that you can use without having to know how they work.
ootoovak
Unregistered

Hay BronxBomber92,

I have never heard of Irrlicht before but it looks quite promising. What is your experience with it? How about as opposed to other open source packages like Ogre?

Hi Nick,

Good to hear as I have looked over Ogre (even got it to compile on my machine) but just have not had the chance to play around with it. What other tools do you use with it for development (if any) and do you have any other tips or resources that might be of interest?

Thanks to both of you,
Sam
Sage
ootoovak Wrote:Hi Nick,

Good to hear as I have looked over Ogre (even got it to compile on my machine) but just have not had the chance to play around with it. What other tools do you use with it for development (if any) and do you have any other tips or resources that might be of interest?

Thanks to both of you,
Sam

Pretty much anything you want. Ogre reads in a proprietary 3D model file format, but luckily there are exporters and converters for nearly any program or file format. As for images, again, you can use just about anything. If you don't have money to spend, I'd suggest the Gimp. Otherwise Photoshop is still the king (but will cost you).
ootoovak Wrote:Hay BronxBomber92,

I have never heard of Irrlicht before but it looks quite promising. What is your experience with it? How about as opposed to other open source packages like Ogre?

Hi Nick,

Thanks to both of you,
Sam
I prefer Irrlicht. You can't really Irrlicht and Ogre. Irrlicht is a game engine, while Ogre is rendering engine. So it depends what exactly your looking for. I was never able to setup Ogre on a Mac, so I can't comment on it too much. Irrlicht's community is very helpful, there tutorials are great, and the support for different file formats is great! http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/features.html

Ogre is better graphicaly, but I think you'll find Irrlicht more suited for you. But that is just my (bias Wink) opinion. As I said, I've never been able to use Ogre.
ootoovak
Unregistered

Well that is good to know so thanks again. How about 2D open source engines? I would prefer C++ (or rather non-scripting based) engines. Any suggestions?
Irrlicht can be used for 2D as well. There's a tutorial on there site Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [split] CocoaBASIC released as open source Carlos Camacho 0 3,840 Jan 28, 2011 04:13 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho
  Any suggestions for an open source video encoder? AnotherJake 26 12,827 Jan 28, 2010 05:25 AM
Last Post: michelleC
  Open source Fallout engine coming to Mac (with your help) mvBarracuda 75 53,480 Jan 22, 2009 08:52 AM
Last Post: mvBarracuda
  Port of an open source game engine iarwain 4 4,485 Aug 28, 2008 02:16 PM
Last Post: iarwain
  Spiderweb's Blades of Exile is now open source JeroMiya 3 4,774 Jun 12, 2007 02:35 PM
Last Post: stevejohnson