Will you design my MMORPG?

Hi iDevGames Community,

I'm a seasoned developer with a lot of experience in C programming, OpenGL, and distributed systems, both using MPI and my own homegrown communication protocol. I've worked on some very large projects (80+ developers) that have shipped internationally. However, I'd really like to try my hand at working on a game.. specifically an MMO. I've brought a couple of my friends, including some professional artists, voice actors, and 3D modelers that have experience mostly in Maya.

We've got a license for the SpeedTree programming package (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedTree) and the Havok Game Dynamics SDK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havok_%28software%29). We know these things cost a lot of money, so we really want to get this game done right the first time. We'd like to sell this game, and have already quit our jobs as software engineers, which average $80,500 a year (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bestjobs/). We think we'll do better than that with this MMO.

If you don't know how to program, that's okay. We've got that part covered.

Also, don't worry about starting with a small project. We want to go straight into the full project, and not waste any time with the little stuff.

Since we have licenses for this big stuff, we'll not bother working ourway up through the technology.

And most importantly:

5. Do not give up. Ever. This IS a realistic goal; we can do it today.

What we need from you.. is someone with some fresh ideas. We'd like a game designer who will tell us what to code. If you can write stories, that would be a plus. If you don't have any art skills, that's okay too. Like I said, we have artists. Also, don't worry if you're young, we can help you work out your ideas.
Quote this message in a reply
Apprentice
Why do "some professional artists, voice actors, and 3D modelers", and "a seasoned developer with a lot of experience in C programming, OpenGL, and distributed systems" need help designing a game? And why would you quit your high-paying jobs before asking for design tips?

I'm so confused. It sounds like a professional team of artists asking high-school kids what they should draw. Is this what it feels like to be feeding a troll?
zerodeck
Unregistered

What sort of MMO are you planning to create? If your looking for a medieval fantasy type, I'd be happy to help. Since programming isn't for me (too busy with reading, writing, music,...) I'd like to create a story for the game. Maybe you'll find it a problem that I'm only 16, but the last couple of years I've become quite a fantasy-fan so I know a bit of storytelling and scenecreating.

Greetings,
zerodeck
Most of me is yelling "satire" at this one, since it's the exact opposite of certain kinds of popular topics on this forum.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Hmm, is this serious?
I'd like to work with you but I dont think i have enough in depth knowledge of MMORPGs to even design a good one alone. But i can throw out ideas, suggestions and dubious theories if you need them Smile

Edit: Hmm, readin better it does sound like a mock Rasp But i have got a good idea for a turn based strategy game if you want to work together Smile

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
seems semi legit, apart from the job. is an intern worth 80grand?
http://kortham.net/AndyKorthResume.pdf

but anyway, i'm guessing most of the codebase will be http://eternalrealms.kortham.net/

i would enjoy helping, even if a few of us like najdorf combined our creativity caps to come up with something paradigm shifting.(hahha, i said paradigm shift)

one thing i'm concerned with though isSadi may have misinterpreted though)
Quote:Since we have licenses for this big stuff, we'll not bother working ourway up through the technology.
this may be stabbing yourself in the foot. by not working through the fundamentals, it will be difficult to work with the big picture.

same goes for:
Quote:Also, don't worry about starting with a small project. We want to go straight into the full project, and not waste any time with the little stuff.
a full project is usually best done in small parts that link seamlessly to each other and are interchangeable.

just my 2 cents. but if you're really serious, i have infinite ideas about perpendicular dimensions, virtual energy, etc.
nich
Hmm, I'm getting the idea this was a bragging thread...

"look i'm making a mmorpg engine (eternal realms) while you are just noobs with no clue"

Just slightly more concealed Wink

Sage
Najdorf Wrote:Hmm, I'm getting the idea this was a bragging thread...

"look i'm making a mmorpg engine (eternal realms) while you are just noobs with no clue"

Sounds about right.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
diordna Wrote:Most of me is yelling "satire" at this one, since it's the exact opposite of certain kinds of popular topics on this forum.

Absolutely and entirely! Grin I felt kinda bad when I got serious replies... I thought it was pretty obvious and full of obviously fake information. Sorry to those who feel tricked.. ;-;

Najdorf Wrote:Hmm, I'm getting the idea this was a bragging thread...

Haha, not really. I don't have much of a clue either, just about 3 years of dedication... and I have some mediocre screenshots to show for it. Doesn't seem much to brag about, it's just a side project of mine.

nich Wrote:seems semi legit, apart from the job. is an intern worth 80grand?
Nah.. about 50 grand.. but anyway, where does a person with a $80,500 (the average wage for software engineers, which is why it seemed like a good number for my satirical post) get enough money for all those expensive engines? I thought that'd make it obviously satire.

AndyKorth Wrote:Also, don't worry about starting with a small project. We want to go straight into the full project, and not waste any time with the little stuff.

Since we have licenses for this big stuff, we'll not bother working ourway up through the technology.

Throughout the post I tried to go down Joseph Duchesne's post (http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11911) and state the exact opposite of as many of those 5 points as I could. It seemed it would really drive the message home.
TylerHutchison
Unregistered

i aM likIng make of MMORPG.

have iDea about vampIre dr4gon wat u guyz think?

plz am hire me

k thx Smile Smile Smile .... Wink
Sage
TylerHutchison Wrote:i aM likIng make of MMORPG.

have iDea about vampIre dr4gon wat u guyz think?

plz am hire me

k thx Smile Smile Smile .... Wink

words cannot express what I think.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
unknown Wrote:words cannot express what I think.

You love vampire dragons too?

AndyKorth Wrote:Nah.. about 50 grand.. but anyway, where does a person with a $80,500 (the average wage for software engineers, which is why it seemed like a good number for my satirical post) get enough money for all those expensive engines? I thought that'd make it obviously satire.
I thought it was too... The title alone, but *plus* SpeedTree and Havok!? (yeah right...) I mean, forget the money, SpeedTree and Havok can barely be afforded by studios developing for the 360, let alone... Never mind... I guess if you haven't heard of them then maybe it would be easier to play along with the idea. Good one! Ninja

vampIre dr4gons 4fr!!!!!
TylerHutchison
Unregistered

Najdorf Wrote:You love vampire dragons too?

yEs! g4me will not be like eveRy othr MMORPG.

will feature new an exciting features such as:

1) playing online with thousands of people, who are vampire dragons

2. EXCITING gamepplay!

3] innovative combat system

4) coool new classes such as: Warrior Vampire Dragon, Paladin vamPire Dragon, Wizard vaMpirE dr4ghon, and rOUge vampiRe draagern.

5. unique expirienced based lvling system.

6) and many many more...

P.S. I am not very good at programmingg, makin art, or wr1tin grammatically c0rrects with copmlete senternces. also have problems!, not good clearly expressing ideas. HOPe is not problem!!! lolz!!!
TylerHutchison Wrote:4) coool new classes such as: Warrior Vampire Dragon, Paladin vamPire Dragon, Wizard vaMpirE dr4ghon, and rOUge vampiRe draagern.
Rouge... Nice touch. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to Design a Text Based MMORPG? SpireGames 3 5,801 Mar 23, 2009 01:40 AM
Last Post: Ingemar