Did Consoles Kill the PC as a Gaming Platform?

ferum Wrote:I hate console FPSs. The controls are too simplified and inaccurate.
My experience with console FPSs has been 180 degrees opposite of that -- I really dig 'um! Millions of other players agree. It took me a while to get used to the dual analog joystick, but now it's second-nature to me. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
Hmmm...I would have to say that PCs will forever be a gaming medium of some sort, even if console games have better graphics/gameplay. Take flash games for example: you have millions of teens around the world that are stuck in the library 'researching' some paper, and all they are really doing is going to the latest free flash game site that hasn't been blocked....online games will still be successful on computers primarily because you can be gaming while appearing to be doing something useful (trust me, I know...I'm 16 Rasp)
-wyrmmage

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
wyrmmage Wrote:Take flash games for example

The PC is still the first stomping ground for every new game programmer and designer, because the barrier for entry is so low. The consoles all have ridiculous costs for devkits, which Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo won't even sell you until you're an authorized developer for the platform. Your Mac, on the other hand, COMES with all the tools you need to write a Mac game. And Macromedia Flash is the ONLY thing you need to make Flash games.

Plus there's simply no shareware scene on the consoles by design. As beautiful as XBLA is, the games on it are subject to the same rigorous certification process as retail titles. On PC, all you need to do is upload your game to your website.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Max
The latest consoles can now access the Internet. And most of them have a hard drive. Do you think it will be possible to download home-made unauthorized games for them? Wouldn't it be great to play Kill Monty or Nanosaur on the Wii? Wink

Freelance video game artist and video game compliance tester at Enzyme Testing Labs.
Well, Microsoft made XNA Game Studio Express available for hobbiests to develop games for Windows and Xbox 360. Supposedly it's free with some subscription, but I haven't looked into it at all.

I know you can hack the original Xbox pretty easily. I've seen original NES games on that using MAME, and it's pretty cool. As for the 360, I haven't heard much about modding it for unauthorized use. Most people don't seem very interested in doing that since it's used so heavily with Xbox Live that no one wants to give that functionality up.
From what I've read, there are several projects under way to hack the xbox360 so that it can play games from other consoles (and/or the computer)...apparently some of them actually do work, if a bit buggily, but I don't have a xbox360, otherwise I might try it out Wink
-wyrmmage

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
I would be *very* hesitant to mod the 360 unless there was absolutely no possible way that it could impair the ability to play on Xbox Live (even then I'd worry about bricking it). On the 360, Live is what it's all about. Losing that would make it worthless IMHO.

Besides that, it's been over a year now and there haven't been any significant mods developed yet that I've heard of (of course, I haven't been listening too much). I remain skeptical that they'll really be able to get as far into the machine like they did with the original Xbox, simply because so many hackers (crackers) are unfamiliar with the PPC family architecture. It seems to be one of those things where now Microsoft is benefitting from security by obscurity.

BTW, two more things to add to the discussion points:

1) I've been trying out the new automated facial-mapping feature of Rainbow Six Vegas the last few days . To my knowledge, it's one of the the very first `next-gen' games to make use of it. It's really neato, if a bit creepy when it works right, but it still needs some issues worked out. In-game facial mapping definitely adds something new to game-play that I haven't seen before, personally. You can check out the tech at http://www.digimask.com/

2) I've heard that Microsoft is going to be introducing a new technology called Live Anywhere, which will allow Xbox users to play games with PC users!
Sorry to raise the thread again but I have an update to the topic. I've been trying out XNA Game Studio Express on Windows and the Xbox 360 and I gotta say that it's really cool! It works great on XP booted on my Intel Mac Mini, but I haven't tried in through Parallels yet. It's free on Windows, but to get your XNA game running on the 360 you have to purchase a subscription through Live for either $50 for four months or $100 for a year. Right now they don't have a way to do binary distributions on the Xbox, as I read in another thread here somewhere, but binaries are sharable on Windows. On XP all you need is the XNA runtime library to play the games. Supposedly Vista has it built in. I guess XNA just came out last month so it's pretty new still, but wow! So now Microsoft has made it much easier for amateurs to develop games that work on the PC as well as the console. Hmm... Kinda puts a new twist on the topic.Sneaky

So it uses C#, which seems pretty nice now that I've dabbled with it a bit. I heard that there is supposed to be an XNA implementation with Mono. It would seem to me that XNA could be brought to the Mac using OpenGL instead of DirectX behind the scenes. Not that MS would want to have anything to do with that... Man, that would really rock to develop and play XNA games on the Mac and be able to port them easily to Windows and the 360!

Are there any modelers on the Mac which output .x files?
AnotherJake Wrote:Are there any modelers on the Mac which output .x files?

Blender. Smile