Red Book Clarifications

Chapter 9 - Texture Mapping says:

glTexEnv()...param can be GL_DECAL, GL_MODULATE, or GL_BLEND, to specify how texture values are to be combined with the color values of the fragment being processed.

What exactly is "the fragment being processed". Is it the object being defined with the glVertex3f() commands? And if so, what are it's color values?

For instance, I typically have something like the following.

Code:
glBegin(GL_POLYGON);
  glTexCoord2f(0.0, 0.0); glVertex3f(-2.0, -1.0, 0.0);    
  glTexCoord2f(0.0, 3.0); glVertex3f(-2.0, 1.0, 0.0);
  glTexCoord2f(3.0, 3.0); glVertex3f(0.0, 1.0, 0.0);
  glTexCoord2f(3.0, 0.0); glVertex3f(0.0, -1.0, 0.0);
glEnd();

To my mind I'm mapping the current texture to a bland skeleton like framework. Devoid of any inherent color.

Is there any gaps or flaws in my reasoning?

thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
you can think of a fragment as being a pixel.
Ok. Thanks. So paraphrasing above: "the texel is combined with the color values of the pixel being processed". I take it that this pixel is already stored in the framebuffer?

But how is glTexEnv() different from just blending -glBlendFunc()- in general? In Chapter 6 on blending, it says "When blending is enabled, the alpha value is often used to combine the color value of the fragment being processed with that of a pixel already stored in the frambuffer..." Isn't that semantically identical to the texture blending quote above?

Sorry to be so dense.
Luminary
That's the major difference between a fragment and a pixel, is that a fragment is not in the framebuffer Rasp