Pascal ported games...

Just thought some of you may ( or may not ) be interested to know about efforts in porting some Win32/Linux Pascal based games over to MacOS X.

1. There is the obligatory Arkanoid clone
[Image: Brat-MacOSX.png]

2. Guns - Reloaded ( http://www.gunsreloaded.com )
[Image: gunsmac.jpg]

3. SoAoS ( soaos.sf.net )
[Image: JEDI_MACOSX.jpg]
( Still a lot of work to be done here )

All are Pascal/Delphi applications that use JEDI-SDL, some cross-platform pascal bindings for SDL and the other libraries like SDL_image, mixer, ttf, net. So far all that was required once the FreePascal compiler and X Code were set up correctly, was to compile the games. The same code base compiles and works across Win32, Linux and now MacOS X. FreePascal also compiles for the Game Boy Advanced, so you may see some of these games on there to.
Quote this message in a reply
Another project which is also being ported is
Catapults - http://www.global-rd.com/catapults/
Hopefully a MacOS X binary will be available for this shortly.
I tested the new templating system ( mentioned in the JEDI-SDL XCode tutorial ) by porting KiCHY's old Oxygene game
that already ran on Win32 and Linux and which uses the sdlsprite.pas (
Sprite Engine ), and the only source code change I had to make was to
remove the *fullscreen* parameter when the window is created. Everything
else just compiled and ran once I had added the various bits to the project.
Here is a screen-shot...
[Image: OxygeneMacOSX.png]

It's an old style gem collecting game with various levels. If anyone
would like to test the game on their system, I can zip it up and email
it to anyone who's interested. It was compiled on an Intel MacBook and I think it should be a Universal binary, but I don't know for sure as I'm fairly new to this whole MacOS X business. This game makes use of both SDL_image and SDL_mixer.
As soon as I have some time to spare, I will have a shot at JEDI-SDL. It sounds like great fun! Cross-platform APIs is the way to go, trying to keep up with Apples API changes is mostly depressing, but OpenGL and SDL makes very different rules. (And FPC is the best thing that happened since the millenium. Finally programming is fun again!)

So count me in on JEDI-SDL for the Mac! Wink