Comments about this please (Another MMO idea)

ThemsAllTook Wrote:Developing an amazing game from start to finish, with all polish, testing, etc., can be done in less than half a year with only one amazing developer like lightbringer - I love him

Ah, shucks, thanks Alex!

EDIT: Dirox - prove to OneSadCookie you can do it, go for it buddy.
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
VB runs on mac?

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Luminary
Nope, but we've already proven beyond all doubt that Dirox can't read, so no need to act surprised Rasp
Dirox
Unregistered

The lightbringer ill try={P

If by Dirox can't read you mean i don't understand the concept of years and years, well i do.

This little thing I'm making is for practice, as soon as I aquire most of the information I think I'll need (by no means can i prepare for this fully) then I will start, but at the moment I need your brains plz.

Don't lagh
k.
1. How do I create/load a form durring runtime with script? dummy explanation plz, I read one tut and didn't have a clue =P
2. I noticed that VB has a limmited amount of "space" to work with, how does one make a giant RTS game style map?

Thats all for now, the questions will become fewer and fewer but I will keep intouch, just wana say this place is pretty rad and I love all the feeback even yours cookie =).
Before I realized that trying to make a full tile-based RPG in Visual Basic was too slow and choppy for my needs, I moved up to Objective-C. I thought it was impossibly hard at first, but now I'm getting the hang of it and I'm finding it exponentially easier to manage.

But in VB, if you have an Image control onscreen somewhere named myImg (assuming you're using VB6), I just call something like

myImg.Picture = LoadPicture("C:\mygame\mypicture.jpg")

To load or unload a form,

myForm.Load and myForm.Unload or to show and hide it:
myForm.Show and myForm.Hide

If the form hasn't been loaded yet, calling Show will load and display it instantly. But, I'd use the Unload call if you're getting rid of a window.

And as far as creating controls on the form programmatically during runtime, I think you would just call something like myImg = New Image and then set the properties, but I never really used that much so you should look up a tutorial. I just had a huge control array of Image controls on the form to use to draw the graphics. It's much nicer in C-based languages where you draw directly to the screen from code into one view.

And I think it's awesome that you have huge ambition. I'm still that way. But honestly, work your way up. Make a tiny, basic, old-school Final Fantasy-style RPG with simple tile based graphics (that you or your artist yourself draw perferably) and you'll see how hard it is. If you go for it all at once like I did, you'll end up with folders and folders full of incomplete projects and test ideas.

I'd be more than happy to help you out and answer any questions. I'm a junior in high-school too, so I have more than enough free time. Instant message me at vnvrymdreglage if you need help, or just post or private message me.

And answering your other question:
2.) You store the map data of each tile in an array of variables or in a file, and draw the tiles based on where you are coordinate-wise in the map. You really need a solid understanding of working with images and file I/O, ect. before you can get to this part.
Luminary
"I have read and understood all your messages".

"So hey, Mac programming forum, how do I do stuff with this Windows-only language?".

Yeah.
Dirox
Unregistered

vnvrymdreglage Wrote:Before I realized that trying to make a full tile-based RPG in Visual Basic was too slow and choppy for my needs, I moved up to Objective-C. I thought it was impossibly hard at first, but now I'm getting the hang of it and I'm finding it exponentially easier to manage.

Interesting I'll look into this thanks. Objective-C? thats not Visual C++ is it?

vnvrymdreglage Wrote:But in VB, if you have an Image control onscreen somewhere named myImg (assuming you're using VB6), I just call something like

Ya im usin VB6

vnvrymdreglage Wrote:myImg.Picture = LoadPicture("C:\mygame\mypicture.jpg")

To load or unload a form,

myForm.Load and myForm.Unload or to show and hide it:
myForm.Show and myForm.Hide

If the form hasn't been loaded yet, calling Show will load and display it instantly. But, I'd use the Unload call if you're getting rid of a window.

I try to avoid having contols hiden untill need since I asume having a great number of hiden controls would slow down the program would it not?

vnvrymdreglage Wrote:And as far as creating controls on the form programmatically during runtime, I think you would just call something like myImg = New Image and then set the properties, but I never really used that much so you should look up a tutorial. I just had a huge control array of Image controls on the form to use to draw the graphics. It's much nicer in C-based languages where you draw directly to the screen from code into one view.

This is the only tut I could find and i don't realy understand it since I am fairly new at this.
Can you translate this so that I'll be able to use it in the future? I asume this is a fairly standard thing to know. Im making a little test game to try and work out these things before I start a nice small manageable game. Reason this came up is because I want my little dude to "Shoot" little darts which I want to use the "line" control for. So what im trying to make it do is when you hit space bar, the script creates a new line at the position of the little dude. I can take it from there.. =)

Public Function LoadControl(oForm As Object, _
CtlType As String, CtlName As String) As Object

'AUTHOR: FreeVBCode.com (http://www.freevbcode.com)
'PURPOSE: Loads a control dynamically a runtime
'PARAMETERS: oForm = Parent Form, or other object that
'supports a controls collection

'CtlType: ProgID of program (e.g.
'"VB.TextBox")

'CtlName: Name of Control
'EXAMPLE:

'In Declarations: Private WithEvents m_oCtl As Object

'In Form Code: Set m_oCtl = LoadControl _
'(Me, "VB.CommandButton", "command1")
'If Not m_oCtl Is Nothing Then
'm_oCtl.Top = 100
'm_oCtl.Left = 100
'm_oCtl.Visible = True
'End If

Dim oCtl As Object

On Error Resume Next

If IsObject(oForm.Controls) Then
Set oCtl = oForm.Controls.Add(CtlType, CtlName)
If Not oCtl Is Nothing Then Set LoadControl = oCtl

End If

End Function

vnvrymdreglage Wrote:And I think it's awesome that you have huge ambition. I'm still that way. But honestly, work your way up. Make a tiny, basic, old-school Final Fantasy-style RPG with simple tile based graphics (that you or your artist yourself draw perferably) and you'll see how hard it is. If you go for it all at once like I did, you'll end up with folders and folders full of incomplete projects and test ideas.

Yes i know what you mean im starting to acumulate little just started things, so I'm going to atempt to make a little game of some sort. Thanks for the positive reply.

vnvrymdreglage Wrote:I'd be more than happy to help you out and answer any questions. I'm a junior in high-school too, so I have more than enough free time. Instant message me at vnvrymdreglage if you need help, or just post or private message me.

Cool i wich i started that young, im just starting out and im 21 yo =( but im obsesive so it should almost balance. And thxfor your help i will need some nowand again.. thank you.

vnvrymdreglage Wrote:And answering your other question:
2.) You store the map data of each tile in an array of variables or in a file, and draw the tiles based on where you are coordinate-wise in the map. You really need a solid understanding of working with images and file I/O, ect. before you can get to this part.

I see.. know of any tuts? Thanks again for the post.

Josh
Dirox
Unregistered

OneSadCookie Wrote:"I have read and understood all your messages".

"So hey, Mac programming forum, how do I do stuff with this Windows-only language?".

Yeah.

oops..

Is this whole site mac only or just this section?
Sage
Quote:Interesting I'll look into this thanks. Objective-C? thats not Visual C++ is it?

Objective-C is Objective-C, and Visual C++ is Visual C++.

Dirox Wrote:oops..

Is this whole site mac only or just this section?

This wole site. Take a close look at the banner on top. It should say "The Macintosh Game Developers' Community", with Macintosh in red.
DoG
Cochrane Wrote:This wole site. Take a close look at the banner on top. It should say "The Macintosh Game Developers' Community", with Macintosh in red.
WHAAAT? are u kidding? u mean i posted on a (yuck) mac site teh hole time? u cant teach me how haxx0r vista? omfgbbq.
Yo h4x0rz, sum1 send me a kopy of vista!! so i can write my mmorpg on it!!! THXOKBYE!!!1111cos(0)!!!!!!!

o and kan sum1 tel me how to load a file in vb???????????

Seriously though, next time you look for a forum to post in, make sure it's on the right topic. Go find a VB forum, or a Java forum, or a Python forum, depending on what you want.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Sage
poor guy, he just wanted to write a cool game. Cry

Heh, I was thinking the same thing. Of course, he started off on the wrong foot by trying to do the impossible. That and the fact that he was asking about VB on a Mac forum. (along with why do all the n00bs want to make MMORPGs, why do half of them not notice the large, red Macintosh in the title either?)