The iDevGames New Year's Contest

What if we had the rest of November to learn, or have a sample project made for us, and then start coding on Dec 1?

Also, can anyone supply a link to the Unity demo?

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Quote this message in a reply
http://unity3d.com/try.html

It comes with a timed trial already, so start learning if you wish.
Sage
Carlos Camacho Wrote:The catch is entries would be created with Unity.

I wouldn't be entering if that was the case.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Founder
Quote:I assume that since they're requiring all devs to use Unity that they're providing a sufficiently cool prize for the entrants?
Yes, as with other 21-Days Later Contests, the sole sponsor provides prizes. I need to see what they would be.

You can start looking at the normal demo now. There will be a special (ie based on time-limit) version for the contest.

John Czeck might have great info to share on utilizing Unity. I also recommend you check out their forum.

As for deciding on one tool. I don't have an issue considering it is 21-Days Later and not a larger contest like OMG or uDG.

Since many of you don't know it, perhaps entries can be broken into: games, widgets & demos
A demo, ala "demo scene" (think back to 16-bit Amiga days), might be a tad easier. Just a thought... Of course the theme of winter/holiday would still be the focus.

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Would the supplied version be something that would combust on Jan 1, or would it be the currently available trial? I don't want to download it now if the clock will start ticking as soon as I open it.

KittyMac Wrote:I'm generally appalled that iDG would have a contest which is limited to one particular tool, since this seems to be counter to the spirit of iDevGames in general. However, if it is to be then I agree that a 21-Day Later contest is the correct place for it.

I hear what you are saying, though in practice it's not very different from OTEE running such a contest themselves.

In a sense, they are hiring Carlos to run a contest for them. The main cost to the iDG community is that while Carlos is doing OTEE's contest, he isn't running a contest like OMG. But it sounds like he wasn't going to do one anyway until early next year.

Leisure Suit Lurie Wrote:Easy as it is to use, I think 3 weeks is too short to learn enough of it to get anything decent together.
I did the original version of Pawns in about 6 weeks as a Unity newbie, and at least a week of that was spent being a Blender newbie... but I agree, 3 weeks is a bit tight. Depends what you'd consider "decent", I guess.

A Unity expert may very well wipe the floor with the rest of us in a short contest. But that's no different than competing against someone like Rocco in a contest allowing C++. :-) There's always someone more skilled than you; your goal is to get a fun game out and hope that people enjoy it more than the other guy's.

For those of us who already own Unity, I propose a rule that no Unity Pro assets are allowed. Unless OTEE releases those in the trial version as well, of course.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
How about if Unity usage was encouraged, but not required? A special bonus prize for a winning entry made in Unity.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Yea im out then. Unless we are still doing the unofficial one with all of december. No interest in Unity here.

The machine does not run without the coin.
I'd be in. My trial of Unity expired, and I'd like a second chance plus some incentive to persevere with it.
Nibbie
Although the contest idea intrigues me, pushing a commercial product as the sole dev. tool seems to go against the nature of what I understand iDevGames and its contests to be. For example, many contests here praise open source, but how can any source be open if the only tool that can compile it is closed? Also I have been carefully* honing** my skills*** in various other languages of my choice over the years and it would be a setback to start over in a reasonably alien environment in a time limited contest. Please open this to other languages, or support something free such as Processing, C++, or LOGO. (although please not the latter).

* lazily
** attempting to use
** google searching for answers
I'm going to change my vote. I'd really rather not have to learn to use a new tool, due to my schedule.

If this were the summer, I'd be all for it. But...it's not. It's Science Olympiad busy season.

Sage
I looked into Unity a bit and decided to change my vote as well. Unity would be too much for a single contest to be a requirement. Plus it shifts a lot of work and expectation into the art area where I do not excel in any way. Perhaps for a much longer contest (perhaps a 3-4 months next year) it would be alright, but for a single month, only the current Unity users would probably have anything worth showing off.
While it's an interesting idea, I don't see such a contest involving Unity being an iDevGames-powered event (not for the near future) but rather an OTEE-powered event.

If you're a Unity user that wants a contest, get OTEE to put one on - or organize some guys in an informal fashion.
lightbringer Wrote:While it's an interesting idea, I don't see such a contest involving Unity being an iDevGames-powered event (not for the near future) but rather an OTEE-powered event.

If you're a Unity user that wants a contest, get OTEE to put one on - or organize some guys in an informal fashion.

That's what they are doing. They've just asked Carlos to do it, possibly because of his track record with contests, but more probably because this is an obvious pool of Mac developers who they'd like to interest in the product. In return we get a sponsor for a 21 days contest, plus extended free trials with Unity.

It's win-win if you ask me. Carlos wasn't planning to do a short contest this year, so this is bonus. The OMG contest looming in a few months should keep the rest of you happy.

And for the record, if GarageGames or someone else wanted to sponsor a similar contest later on I think that would be cool too.

I guess I'd like to see people avoid people turning their feelings of "I'm not personally interested" into "this is bad for the iDG community" automatically. I think this is a cool idea even though I probably won't have time to participate, except possibly with some throwaway entry, with placeholder art....

Nick Wrote:I looked into Unity a bit and decided to change my vote as well. Unity would be too much for a single contest to be a requirement. Plus it shifts a lot of work and expectation into the art area where I do not excel in any way.

Why is the art expectation different? It almost sounds like you are saying that because Unity takes away some of the work you'd otherwise spend programming, you'll have more time for art. In my experience you can easily spend that time programming some more, if that is your game's emphasis. My games, Unity-based or not, have NEVER had very good art, except where such was donated. (Incidentally, since there'd be free trials going around you might find an artist or two who can donate assets for your contest entry. Using Unity they could drop them into your game without even waiting for your next build.)

The comments about the 21 days being too short do resonate with me, but the longer the contest is, the more people will complain about it subverting iDG.

So I'm in favor of this contest, as long as it doesn't replace another sponsored iDG contest. Would be good for OTEE to tell us the prizes as well.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Founder
Quote:So I'm in favor of this contest, as long as it doesn't replace another sponsored iDG contest. Would be good for OTEE to tell us the prizes as well
First I need to have an idea of what people think before going to the next step, which is to secure prizes.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you are actively developing with one of the following: dim3, Blender3D, Torque? (Did I miss any 3D engine/tool?) I added a poll to see the number of people using various 3D tools...
Unity
dim3
Torque
Blender
CrystalSpaceEngine
(what's missing?)

If we don't have enough Unity users in this community, than a possibility would be to allow some other similar tools. Though I'm not sure if OTEE would be keen on the idea. (I'm sure some will ask, if you are gonna extend the contest in that way, why not allow pure OpenL/no 3d engine entries, blah blah blah Rasp )

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  iDevGames mini-contest this weekend: "Sticky" ThemsAllTook 35 20,673 May 27, 2009 12:00 PM
Last Post: SethWillits