The iDevGames New Year's Contest

Sage
To avoid excluding people of various religions, I'll try to avoid labeling this as a Christmas contest.

As discussed in another thread some of us want to do a Holiday themed contest. I figured I'd take the initiative to set up an official thread to see what interest there is.

Theme: The Holidays (Christmas, Hanukkuh, Kwanza, New Years, etc). Any game involving characters, icons, or otherwise relating to any of the holidays counts.

Work Time: December 1st 12:00AM GMT - January 1st 12:00AM GMT

There are no prizes and no judges so this contest is mainly to see what you can create and to have fun with others in the community. If you are interested in joining, please reply to this post so we can gauge the community interest. Feel free to include what you think you might do if you so feel inclined.
Quote this message in a reply
I've already posted in the other thread, but anyway, I'm in Smile

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
I are in.

* StealthyCoin <- one man community poll. I delcare this contest a success.

The machine does not run without the coin.
I'd probably have a go, if it were to happen.
Sage
I'm intrigued. Might provide a good outlet for testing my physics library out in something other than contrived demos.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
I will attempt to be in.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
I'll give it a shot.

Alex
I'll probably be in if it happens. Assuming I can think of a game idea...
Founder
Ha, I came to the forum today to discuss our upcomming contests, and here I find members already discussing the topic. Excellent.

Freeverse has been very keen to run another OMG Cup, however with my moving (and job hunting), my time was short. Although not 100%, I'd like to start OMG Cup 2007 at the start of MacWorld.

OTEE has also wanted to partner with iDG on a contest for some time. Most likely, they will will participate in OMG Cup 2007 in some form.

Since they are keen to get a contest in before the end of 2006, I suggested a 21-Days Later Contest. The catch is entries would be created with Unity. A special version for the contest would be released (free) for the community to create games. The theme of Holiday (Winter?) would indeed be great. Now I know some of you use Unity, and others don't. For those that don't, this could be a good way to motivate yourself into giving it a try. I understand 21 days may not be ideal for learning a new dev tool, but I think with all the members we have, surely we could get at least 10 entries, which is the norm in 21-Days Later Contest. For devs that have no ambition/talent/skills/etc to learn Unity... you would be more than welcomed to work in teams, and create other aspects of the entry (levels, game assets, etc)

In summary: I'm keen to have a 21-Days Later Contest, but it would be based on the dev tool Unity. If that suits you, than let me know. If not, you'll need to wait until OMG Cup 2007 to utilize your dev tool/language of choice, as far as "official" iDG contests go.

Cheers,

p.s. For those that use (love?) Unity, you might want to post your thoughts on the ability of non-Unity devs being able to participate in a Unity-based contest.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I'm all in then, if not just for the opportunity to try this out. The game I have in mind is probably simple enough to figure out in 3 weeks.

Are there any Unity tutorials out there now which I could read over?

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Sage
I think it'd be great to use Unity and do an official 21 Days Later contest. Just let us know when the dates for that would be.
I'm generally appalled that iDG would have a contest which is limited to one particular tool, since this seems to be counter to the spirit of iDevGames in general. However, if it is to be then I agree that a 21-Day Later contest is the correct place for it.

I assume that since they're requiring all devs to use Unity that they're providing a sufficiently cool prize for the entrants?
Great to hear there are plans for a future OMG Grin

Damn, if Unity is required for the contest, I'll have to pull out; I'd love to try to develop with Unity, but from past experience I don't have a powerful enough Mac Cry Roll on OMG Grin

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Sage
It could be interesting if OTEE would provide a trial version to work with as you said.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Carlos Camacho Wrote:In summary: I'm keen to have a 21-Days Later Contest, but it would be based on the dev tool Unity. If that suits you, than let me know. If not, you'll need to wait until OMG Cup 2007 to utilize your dev tool/language of choice, as far as "official" iDG contests go.

Easy as it is to use, I think 3 weeks is too short to learn enough of it to get anything decent together.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  iDevGames mini-contest this weekend: "Sticky" ThemsAllTook 35 20,096 May 27, 2009 12:00 PM
Last Post: SethWillits