The iDevGames New Year's Contest

Hmm...if this is going to require 3D modelling, then I'm going to have to learn the modelling software as well as Unity. So I think I'd be out if I had to do 3D.

Edit: Unless someone wanted to do my art...I have a game (and an alternate) in mind, so msg me if you're interested. One is much less art-intensive than the other.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Quote this message in a reply
diordna Wrote:Hmm...if this is going to require 3D modelling, then I'm going to have to learn the modelling software as well as Unity. So I think I'd be out if I had to do 3D.

Edit: Unless someone wanted to do my art...I have a game (and an alternate) in mind, so msg me if you're interested. One is much less art-intensive than the other.
If there is any modelling requirement it is only one that you impose on yourself. There are some basic geometric primitives in Unity like plane, capsule, box, and sphere. Make a game with that. Or use textured planes. Or another option is Teddy. http://www-ui.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~takeo/teddy/teddy.htm It can save out obj files which Unity can read. If you can scribble you can model with that. As I said earlier, work with your strengths and minimize your weaknesses...

-Jon
Mmm, teddy is cool. Too bad I don't have a drawing pad thing.

Alex
AFAWK, the contest is still themed around "holiday/winter". Limiting your artwork to plane, capsule, box, and sphere and keeping with the theme might be tough. Someone call dibs on a snowball game LOL
KittyMac Wrote:AFAWK, the contest is still themed around "holiday/winter".
It is? Okay, I have no idea what's going on, then. Smile I thought the theme was Pimp Unity. Rolleyes

Okay.. game ideas... You could shoot pain relief medication (in the form of gel capsules) at holiday boxed presents flying around. The medication contains antibodies to cure people of Xmas Fever.

Or you could do a simple holiday first person game. A humble UPS employee, you are equipped with a grab gun ala HalfLife 2 and are tasked with moving around packages (boxes) to the right places for holiday delivery while fighting off alien Orb sphere spacecraft. You deal with them by crushing them with the very packages you're trying to deliver. Ridiculously easy to script. You could make the levels out of brown boxes (UPS, heh) and have multi colored point lights to make it look nice.

Huh
-Jon
I hope it is not the holiday / winter theme. Maybe I can base my game in Australia and give it a summer theme or in the far future when the climate makes it all messed up.
I'm pretty sure the theme has been broadened. Wait for the announcement though.

If it hasn't just take whatever game you would have done and add some falling snow to it. Smile

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  iDevGames mini-contest this weekend: "Sticky" ThemsAllTook 35 20,571 May 27, 2009 12:00 PM
Last Post: SethWillits