Scripting language recommendation?

I want to implement a simple GUI interface to my Xcode C++/OpenGL/SDL game.

Portability is very important to me. From what I've gathered after perusing on the
internet for many hours, is that Tk might be a good candidate. Even after extensive
reading, my mind is still unclear on many fundamentals:

Can Tcl/Tk be hooked into an Xcode C++/OpenGL/SDL project?

Or is Tcl/Tk an X11 windows only environment and so I'm screwed?

For that matter do any of the other scripting languages (python, Ruby) support a gui interface.
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
WhatMeWorry Wrote:For that matter do any of the other scripting languages (python, Ruby) support a gui interface.

I don't know much about tcl, but If you ask me, tk is terrible. On OS X, it's pretty much only useful from X11 unless you install tcl/tk aqua and recompile your tk programs.

Python has strong ties with the wxWidgets library. It's fairly common to have wxPython apps on Linux, and I think wxPython is installed by default on newer versions of OSX. (Not sure how else I would have got it) It would have to be installed on Windows however. Other than this, I don't think that there is an easy crossplatform GUI solution that would work everywhere with a minimal amount of installation.

I also wouldn't recommend bringing in a scripting language just to inherit GUI functionality. That doesn't really be their strong point. I'm sure some might disagree though.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Ruby comes with a Tcl/Tk library that's great and easy to use. The Pickaxe: http://www.rubycentral.com/book/ext_tk.html

[edit] Oh, ok. If you want a cross platform lib, I would recommend an embedded QT. If you want an example, look at Psi. Or you could make your own. [/edit[

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Quote: If you want a cross platform lib, I would recommend an embedded QT. If you want an example, look at Psi

Sorry, but what is QT and Psi? I don't suppose QT is quick time?

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?
Lua might be a good choice Smile
and Psi: http://psi-im.org/

No need to look at the source, I think, just the build script.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suggested Scripting Language Talyn 11 4,985 Dec 31, 2008 03:26 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho
  Scripting Language Woes (Lua) Bachus 2 3,570 Oct 14, 2008 09:48 AM
Last Post: Blacktiger
  Looking for a compilable scripting language BinarySpike 8 4,971 Apr 24, 2007 09:59 AM
Last Post: BinarySpike
  Scripting Language: Rolling Your Own Emehr 14 5,335 Feb 10, 2007 08:14 AM
Last Post: IBethune
  Embedding Scripting Languages Tutorials Nick 18 7,285 Apr 13, 2006 09:53 PM
Last Post: kelvin