Taking advantage of 3DNow, SSE, MMX or whatever the PPC equivalent is called...

Jones
Unregistered

The title pretty much explains it. How does one take advantage of CISC processor advantages like 3DNow, or SSE. I'm sure PPC has some sort of equivalent, no?

I found this on GameDev, but it appears to be a code style solely for this other compiler.

Now I understand stuff like MMX is pretty low level. Would it require the use of assembly to take advantage of? I'd rather write the functions myself, to see how it works, rather than just use a library.

I know *some* x86 assembly, and I've been studying it in the little spare time I don't devote to C++/OpenGL. If it requires asm programming then I'll stick with x86 only. PPC asm seems much harder, perhaps that's because there's less documentation on the subject.

Thanks for your input! Smile

EDIT: Found this too, looks like a good place to start. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
You mean "SIMD", this has nothing at all to do with the (almost-nonexistent) distinction between CISC and RISC...

If you search developer.apple.com for altivec and sse you'll quickly find the answers you need.
Use the Accelerate framework and you won't have to use asm. Smile (note that it would will likely be better to send your data in large batches to reduce the function overhead, if you're that worried about performance)
Jones
Unregistered

Son of a Monkey's Uncle...

Apple gives you a framework to do this, how kind of them. Smile

Thanks for the links guys, this'll give me something interesting to learn about. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  GetAsyncKeyState( ), equivalent on OS X? Phosphoer 2 4,054 Aug 30, 2009 06:04 PM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook
  drawRect not being called IckyThump 4 7,471 Aug 13, 2009 06:48 AM
Last Post: IckyThump
  Taking the next big step... into 3D WhatMeWorry 23 9,186 Nov 18, 2005 08:49 PM
Last Post: maaaaark
  ReceiveNextEvent Cocoa Equivalent? maaaaark 30 11,930 Apr 9, 2005 08:38 PM
Last Post: Josh
  How is Q3A taking advantage of dual CPUs? DoG 2 2,931 Mar 8, 2003 05:08 PM
Last Post: DoG