Unity contra Torque

Nibbie
In terms of "user-friendliness", "beginner-friendliness" and "power".
Which is greater? Unity or Torque.
Quote this message in a reply
From my experience, I have found that Unity has much better support for new users and even new developers. There are a wide variety of tutorials, script-wiki, etc that can help people understand the editor and the scripting language quickly so they can get on to making the game/software they want. I also find that it is a lot easier to get help in the Unity Community with the forums and the IRC, than with Torque.
If you mean 3D? Then Unity for sure.
Not sure how Torque's 2D game making app is.
Torque for osx is horrible. Don't use it. It feels like a windows app running on mac.
Unity is like a breath of fresh air, plus it was developed for OSX, though it can create windows (maybe linux too?) binaries as well.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Nothing prevents you from making 2d games in Unity, of course.

Torque is fairly horrid from what I've heard.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Since I last looked at Torque they have updated things a lot. The latest version has had most of the OS X code rewritten.

My advice is to take a look at the Torque demos for yourself instead of just taking the word of others who have not tried it recently.

The demo for the Torque 1.5 engine is much more impressive than the last version I saw.
Andrew Sage Wrote:Since I last looked at Torque they have updated things a lot. The latest version has had most of the OS X code rewritten.

My advice is to take a look at the Torque demos for yourself instead of just taking the word of others who have not tried it recently.

The demo for the Torque 1.5 engine is much more impressive than the last version I saw.

This of course addresses "power" more than user/beginner-friendliness.

It's pretty hard to beat Unity's friendliness, IMHO. But Torque doesn't have to be better than Unity, it just has to be friendly enough for you to use.

I suspect it isn't so friendly for a Mac user, I've heard horror stories about it requiring various Windows-only tools for full effect. But you'd best get the skinny from an actual Mac developer using it. Maybe join their forums and see what's what.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
I have been working with torque 2D for a year...
Now called torque game builder..

It is overly marketed highly buggy crap that t does not scale.

It can be used for really simple games.

Unitity is a MUCH MUCH better tool that is professional and well polished
torque is poorly written crap that has produced hardly anything over like the last 6 years or more?

Really look at its track record.

When you get into torque and try doing advanced things past the simplistic tutorials you will star seeing its design flaws....

Better systems...

Unity
Dim3

http://www.phelios.com/ptk/

etc etc.

- Mac Lead ZeniMax Online Studios
- Owner Plaid World Studios
- Resume: http://www.chrisdillman.com
The same can't be 100% true for Torque3D, though. I mean, when they have commercial games like Tribes Vengeance using it, it can't be that bad. Rasp
akb825 Wrote:The same can't be 100% true for Torque3D, though. I mean, when they have commercial games like Tribes Vengeance using it, it can't be that bad. Rasp

Lets see there is a big difference between a 1 shot engine made for 1 game
and a friendly usable and bug free tool for consumers.

The second torque is not...

Or were you joking jon?

Well, you were making some pretty sweeping accusations, and were pretty much saying that it's useless. I admit that I haven't used Torque, but obviously other people find it at least satisfactory. I think having a big name like Tribes running under the engine pretty much shows that it isn't useless. I guess you can debate level of use of the tools etc. as opposed to the engine, but you would think that it would provide limitations for making a commercial game if it was absolutely horrible.
akb825 Wrote:Well, you were making some pretty sweeping accusations, and were pretty much saying that it's useless. I admit that I haven't used Torque, but obviously other people find it at least satisfactory. I think having a big name like Tribes running under the engine pretty much shows that it isn't useless. I guess you can debate level of use of the tools etc. as opposed to the engine, but you would think that it would provide limitations for making a commercial game if it was absolutely horrible.

My bad.
I really did not feel like going into detail about all its major flaws, bugs, things I have patched, poor antiquated design etc

Lets just say after a year of working it with it and customizing it I T2D
does not scale up to doing most SNES style games you can think of as is.

Probably what Torque is actually good for is fairly easily making anothe FPS or
FPS style game.

It was never meant to be a general purpose game engine.

If anyone wants a full list of what is wrong with the engine can email me Smile

Apprentice
@ChrisD: Some interesting comments... Though through my experience with Torque Game Builder (which is considerable since I've been deving on it) I find many of your statements about it shortsighted and very false.

Quote:It is overly marketed highly buggy crap that t does not scale.

It can be used for really simple games.

We have fixed a large portion of the bugs (though obviously every software on the planet has bugs of some sort).

"It can be used for really simple games."

This is what surprises me the most, considering it's based off of the Torque core which has been used for a lot of varying games, from casual to fully in-depth hardcore games. In fact the 3D Torque engine has been successfully used in an Indie MMORPG... hardly a "simple game".

We have developed a fairly well polished pool game called "Rack 'Em Up Roadtrip" that really isn't all that simple either (check it out on MSN here). I've seen community releases from a Turn Based Strategy/RPG game in TGB to the most simple of casual games. In fact considering the core of the engine comes from what started as Tribes & Tribes 2 it is fairly proven to be very scaleable and stable.

Quote:When you get into torque and try doing advanced things past the simplistic tutorials you will star seeing its design flaws....

Maybe 'you' have; however, there are quite a few people who would disagree with this statement. If anything it started as being designed for more advanced things and then designed to be scaleable.

Quote:Lets see there is a big difference between a 1 shot engine made for 1 game
and a friendly usable and bug free tool for consumers.

The second torque is not...

1 Shot engine ? Wow... I guess Marble Blast Ultra on Xbox 360 Live Arcade doesn't count? Or Minions of Mirth MMORPG either. Are you being serious Chris? or joking?

Quote:Probably what Torque is actually good for is fairly easily making anothe FPS or
FPS style game.

It was never meant to be a general purpose game engine.

If anyone wants a full list of what is wrong with the engine can email me

There is quite a big list of game developers that have made successful games that are not an FPS... for one our own game Marble Blast Ultra, one of the highest grossing games on Xbox 360 Live Arcade is far from an FPS. Also Minions of Mirth MMORPG and the successful Wildlife Tycoon: Venture Africa by Pocketwatch games that you can even purchase in Best Buy and Walmart.

Please e-mail me this list I am curious.

Also if anyone wants a different pespective of the engine I'd be happy to answer any questions. If you want some full information on the engines (as well as a TGB trial) you can check out this link Smile

Torque Game Builder

Matthew Langley
Docs and Demos Team
TGB Dev Team
GarageGames

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Torque 2D MIT Announced SethWillits 0 2,973 Jan 2, 2013 01:27 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  Torque is R.I.P.? Carlos Camacho 10 8,391 May 20, 2012 10:22 AM
Last Post: SethWillits