A 3D modeling engine

Hi, I'm looking for a 3D modeling engine that has versions on both the mac and windows, is at least partially free, and generates models that can be read by a script (that I design). Basically, I am making 3D models for a game and the game needs to load the 3D models so that it can display them.
Thanks,
-wyrmmage
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
blender, or wings3d.
thank you, I'll check them out Smile
Yeah, Blender is lovely. I export to .obj and import them from that.

(Hi, it's my first post, hello etc. Smile)
Apprentice
I have been doing a game for a uni assignment lately. We have been given a .3ds (3d Studio Max) loader that is pretty simple.

Different modelling programs have their strengths. I suck pretty badly at 3d modelling at the moment, but have been using Wings3d and [url=http://www.blender.org/]

Both are open source, available on several platforms and save to a variety of formats, including 3ds. Sadly, Blender sucks a little for 3ds export, so it works better to export to .obj, import that into Wings and resave.

If you are using an Intel Mac, you need to build your own version of Wings, but I had problems... I ended up finding a pre-compiled binary, which run pretty poorly and seems to be buggy.

And that ends my 2c

Spinner
I maintain a list of free/cheap 3D apps if you're still looking for options.

Wings and Blender are likely the best freebies around but two other cross platform apps that can come in handy are Art of Illusion and Misfit Model 3D.
ok, thanks for the suggestions guys Smile It seems that maya also exports to different file formats (if you can find and install some rare plug-ins >.<). I'll check out the programs that you posted and see how they work.
Thanks again Smile

-wyrmmage
Apprentice
Blender is great. It can be used on both the Macintosh OS and the Windows OS (+ other platforms). It does have a bit of a learning curve, though. It is free. Open Source.
ppModeler (yes, horrible name) will be available on OS X in the future.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suggestions on 3D Modeling Software johncmurphy 13 5,312 May 9, 2009 09:59 AM
Last Post: mikey
  3d modeling and animations antadam 2 2,789 Feb 5, 2003 06:44 PM
Last Post: Sta7ic