Cross-platform RPG

DarkHorizon
Unregistered

Hello all,

I have been working on a solo-project for over a year now. The game is called Odyssey, a 2D multiplayer roleplaying game. I have open-sourced the code for the game, and additionally made the media-package system extensible such that anyone who is interested in the project, may contribute new media (artwork, music, sound, world-maps, levels, etc), or enhancements to existing media. Additionally, as the game is open-source, anyone following the documentation may set up their own server, and use packages provided by the community.

From its inception, I intended to develop the game cross-platform. I don't own a Mac, however the Mac community is as important to me as the Linux and Windows communities. Currently the client and server applications run equally well on Linux and Windows.

What I'm inquiring about today, is the feasability of my project in the Mac community. Are there features that Mac users come to expect in games (particularly RPG)? Is such an open community concept appealing?

The project is still in its infancy, however it's an opportune time to hear any input that might benefit it from the Mac community's point of view.

Best regards, and I appreciate your time Smile
- DarkHorizon
http://odyssey-project.com/
Quote this message in a reply
In general, Mac users expect pretty much the same things as other computer users. The difference is in the details, there are a LOT of small interface requirements that are expected by Mac users. I could not make an exhaustive list of the rules, but I (and a bunch of other people on this forum) can easily list the rules that are broken by a particular game. A very simple example would be that typing command-Q MUST quit the application. Also, if the game is fullscreen, it MUST provide a windowed mode, and be able to switch between windowed and fullscreen mode without stopping the game.

As for the communal aspect of it, I personnaly think there is no problem at all. You just have to look at the big mod community that developped around the original Escape Velocity to see how it could work out.
There actually was/is a CRPG for Mac called Odyssey. Not sure if that'll create a problem for you.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
DarkHorizon
Unregistered

I'm sure it could be, but considering Odyssey is the engine's name and not necessarily the name of a final product, I don't think it should be a major deal. Thanks for the info sohta and LSL, and I will look into both these items. And thanks to anyone else who took the time to read Smile

Best regards,
- DarkHorizon
http://odyssey-project.com/
DarkHorizon Wrote:Thanks for the info sohta and LSL, and I will look into both these items. And thanks to anyone else who took the time to read Smile

No problem. I just guessed you'd rather spend more time programming games and less time fighting litigation. Wink

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cross-Platform Programming Justin Brimm 3 2,737 Dec 16, 2007 02:40 PM
Last Post: GolfHacker
  Newbie book on cross-platform game making? and some questions... mac_girl 11 6,149 Feb 19, 2007 01:22 PM
Last Post: mac_girl