24 Bit Audio Playback

TREMS
Unregistered

Hi, I'm new here, but I did search through old threads to see if this topic was covered and could not find anything concerning making sure audio playback output is 24 bit when playing back audio with a 24 bit capable soundcard. I've also did a bunch of searching on the web w/ no luck.

I have an SB Audigy 2 in my PC and I'm attempting to playback audio at 24 bits of resolution. I thought this was possible with DirectSound but I cannot figure it out because when you define the WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE values all you seem to really be doing is telling what format the output will be in - not the playback quality. Here's how I do it in my code:

waveFormatIEEEFloatEx.Format.wFormatTag = WAVE_FORMAT_IEEE_FLOAT;
waveFormatIEEEFloatEx.Format.nChannels = 2;
waveFormatIEEEFloatEx.Format.nSamplesPerSec = 44100L;
waveFormatIEEEFloatEx.Format.wBitsPerSample = 32;
waveFormatIEEEFloatEx.Format.cbSize = 22;
waveFormatIEEEFloatEx.Format.nBlockAlign = (waveFormatIEEEFloatEx.Format.nChannels * waveFormatIEEEFloatEx.Format.wBitsPerSample) / 8;
waveFormatIEEEFloatEx.Format.nAvgBytesPerSec = waveFormatIEEEFloatEx.Format.nBlockAlign * waveFormatIEEEFloatEx.Format.nSamplesPerSec;
waveFormatIEEEFloatEx.Samples.wValidBitsPerSample = 32;
waveFormatIEEEFloatEx.dwChannelMask = 0;
waveFormatIEEEFloatEx.SubFormat = KSDATAFORMAT_SUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT;

...now, this is just telling DirectSound what format the audio data will be coming in (32 bit floating point) - it's not determining what quality the soundcard will be playing the output data at. I don't know where specifying to the Audigy 2 that you wish for it to playback the audio in 24 bit.

Any light that anyone could shed on this would be helpful. Thank you.

Terence
Quote this message in a reply
Hi!

This forum is specifically for Macintosh game developers, so DirectSound questions would be better answered elsewhere.

Sorry we can't be of any help.
Jones
Unregistered

http://www.GameDev.net has a forum under the "community" pop-down menu. They've got loads of DirectX people there who will help you for sure. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  OpenAL WAV Playback DylanE 7 4,575 Nov 27, 2006 02:21 PM
Last Post: DylanE
  no ogg sound playback GryphonClaw 1 2,599 Jan 9, 2006 06:32 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Core Audio mutlichannel audio tachyon 2 6,272 Mar 18, 2005 01:04 AM
Last Post: tachyon
  Dynamic sound playback? napthali 6 3,212 Dec 7, 2003 10:38 PM
Last Post: kelvin