Installing on Mac?

Sage
How many people run installers for programs on Macs? I know most programs are simply drag and drop, but I find a few programs once in a while that want to run an installer. I just don't like that idea, because then I have to give it my password and then it can put files anywhere it wants. Files that I won't be able to remove. Unless I have no other options, I refuse to run installers. Anyone else like this?
Quote this message in a reply
depends on the app. if it's a game I'm much less likely to run an installer, especially if it's just a game demo. I'd have to be pretty suspicious about an app to not run an installer though, but then again I don't tend to install lots of apps at random Smile
Luminary
I'll always look at the files in the installer, and the pre-install and post-install shell scripts if I'm even slightly suspicious. I'll also reasonably regularly use pax on the command-line to extract the files somewhere harmless (like my desktop) if I don't believe that the installer package was necessary.

I'll only go to those lengths if I really want the software, though. If it was a random what-the-hey kind of download (including games!) I'll most often just throw it away without even opening it.
I mannually unpax the files and install what I want.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Sage
Same here, installer packages for simple programs that should be able to use drag and drop install make me nervous. I often unpax things manually.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
I'm probably too trusting, but I don't usually run into installers. I'll probably start unpacking them manually unless they obviously need an installer. (perhaps these are Windows users making a Mac port, and got too used to installers? Rasp)
Nick Wrote:[..]I just don't like that idea, because then I have to give it my password and then it can put files anywhere it wants.

*cough*

Ooops... Shock