Master of Orion II

Did anyone else play it? And what's a modern game that's similar to it?

I miss it so much I want to rewrite it, but I'm afraid of all the AI.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Quote this message in a reply
I played it. In fact I still do sometimes with friends (go classic)
I have no idea of a modern game that similar :/
If you rewrote it you would be my ultima supreme hero!

When in doubt ... read the Read Me
10.5.6 | MacBook Pro 2.5x2 | 4 GB RAM | GeForce 8600M GT
great game, loved it to death. Would conquer orion and build a million android workers and basically make a factory planet that pumped out 1 titan per turn
I loved the game, but when I try to run it in classic the screen gets all wonky! If you want help making a port/similar game I would help.
Have you tried using SheepShaver to run it?

http://www.gibix.net/dokuwiki/en:projects:sheepshaver

The brains and fingers behind Malarkey Software (plus caretaker of the world's two brattiest felines).
Great game. Great game. Unfortunately, a search reveals no patches to make it OSX native.

I know that Master of Orion III is out, but I've heard it isn't as good...

Other than that, I don't know of any similar games.
Yeah, Amazon reviews say it sucks. Anyone up for making a clone? If there's no AI, perhaps we can do an online version. The mechanics themselves are pretty simple.

(Btw, I got it to run in Classic, but you have to do the "minimal" or "standard" installs, not the full one, because the paths get messed up.)

Malarkey Wrote:Have you tried using SheepShaver to run it?

http://www.gibix.net/dokuwiki/en:projects:sheepshaver
Maybe I'll try that.
Beat it today on average difficulty, small galaxy, average age, average tech, non-tactical combat, no Antarans (I personally hate that aspect of the game), 3 races. Got the Elerians and the Gnolams, which I seem to get a lot. By the end, I had taken each of them down to one non-homeworld colony, with only one colonist. I got the Gnolams there first and then invaded. (They gave me a star system to try to get a peace treaty...hehe.) For the Elerians, I reserved something special - I researched until I got a Stellar Converter, and then destroyed the last planet they had, which had a population of 1. And it was mighty satisfying.

Now I'm moving up to 6 or so races, again in a small galaxy, because it's fun to fight for position.

diordna Wrote:Beat it today on average difficulty, small galaxy, average age, average tech, non-tactical combat, no Antarans (I personally hate that aspect of the game), 3 races. Got the Elerians and the Gnolams, which I seem to get a lot. By the end, I had taken each of them down to one non-homeworld colony, with only one colonist. I got the Gnolams there first and then invaded. (They gave me a star system to try to get a peace treaty...hehe.) For the Elerians, I reserved something special - I researched until I got a Stellar Converter, and then destroyed the last planet they had, which had a population of 1. And it was mighty satisfying.

Now I'm moving up to 6 or so races, again in a small galaxy, because it's fun to fight for position.

// ...wonders what would happen in a few years, when a faint satellite signal containing this post reaches a couple dozen inhabitated star systems a few light years from here... Sneaky //
diordna Wrote:...no Antarans (I personally hate that aspect of the game)...
I always thought the Antarans were a way of making the end of the game challenging since if you make it that far you are usually pretty powerful.
Posting because MOO2 is an epic game, and I just got it to run very well under sheepshaver.

Loving it.
Oh man, MoO2 was great. MoO3 wasn't, unfortunately. I still haven't found anything that matches it.

I take it no one here ever wrote a clone. Wink

Very temping to try it in sheepshaver sometime....

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
(Jan 3, 2011 09:24 AM)AndyKorth Wrote:  Very temping to try it in sheepshaver sometime....

The key for getting it to run fast enough to be playable for me was enabling "built-in 68k DR Emulator (EXPERIMENTAL)" and disabling "Allow Emulated CPU to Idle". Otherwise the AI turns just took abnormally long ( with the CPU only using 20% ).
I was never able to get it to run satisfactorily. Can anyone post detailed instructions with download links?

Also, I started this thread five years ago when I was 16.