Master of Orion II

(Jan 3, 2011 05:26 PM)stevejohnson Wrote:  I was never able to get it to run satisfactorily. Can anyone post detailed instructions with download links?

Here's what I did:

1) I followed the instructions detailed here to set up SheepShaver

2) From those setup instructions, I have only a few deviations:

a) I have had the most success running on an older build I got from a torrent ( v2.3, Oct-25-2009 ). I tried running it on the latest that you can download from the above link, I found it to be unstable. YMMV, but the one I am using is from here if that helps.

b) My preference deviations:

Under Setup: 1024 MB of RAM ( probably not that critical )

Under Miscellaneous: Turn off CPU idle, turn on 68k DR Emulator

3) So far, so good. The only issue I have have experienced is sometimes the movies do not play ( you hear audio no video, sometimes they do play ). I just click through the opening credits ( black screens ). The game runs smooth as silk ( playing on a MBP 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM ). I also ran my old Poser 3D and Bryce 3D for giggles, Bryce actually rendered pretty fast.

[Image: SheepShaverScreenSnapz032.png]

[Image: SheepShaverScreenSnapz033.png]

[Image: SheepShaverScreenSnapz034.png]
Quote this message in a reply
Oh gosh, MoO. Now I'm all nostalgic. Always loved the acronym, right up there with MoM (anyone remember Master of Magic?) Love to see remakes of both.

Original Music and Sound Design for Video Games
http://www.harrymack.com
Nibbie
(Sep 8, 2006 06:58 PM)stevejohnson Wrote:  Did anyone else play it? And what's a modern game that's similar to it?

I miss it so much I want to rewrite it, but I'm afraid of all the AI.

It shouldn't be too bad to rewrite, but it is still in copyright so...

I too, LOVED MOO, and play it obsessively still! Have not found any game like it.

Sadly, the X4 genre of games isn't "teh hotness" in the game industry, "shoehorning cRPGs into action FPS games" is. =/
Quote:I too, LOVED MOO, and play it obsessively still! Have not found any game like it.

Sadly, the X4 genre of games isn't "teh hotness" in the game industry, "shoehorning cRPGs into action FPS games" is. =/

I am finishing up Starbase Orion, heavily inspired by MooII but with game design heavy focused on multiplayer gaming for iOS.

[Image: screen1.png]

[Image: screen11.png]

[Image: screen8.png]
That looks awesome! When is it coming out?
Alex
(Jul 13, 2011 05:58 AM)EvolPenguin Wrote:  That looks awesome! When is it coming out?
Alex

My current plan is releasing it iOS5 only so it can rely completely on the new asynchronous turn-based GameKit. So, "Fall 2011" unless I decide to abandon that idea in which case maybe a little sooner.