Java game-writing resources?

I just started dabbling in Java, but the built-in libraries seem ill-suited for games. Can anyone recommend a tutorial and/or library for me to use?

Also, any tutorials on using Java in Xcode?

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Quote this message in a reply
I've never used it, but maybe LWJGL might be of use...

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Yeah, but that requires OpenGL knowledge, which I don't have. I dislike OpenGL. That's not to say I won't learn it, but still. Everything seems so abstract. So far, I haven't found anything that explains all of its oddities in a clear fashion. And yes, I've done a few NeHe's.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Luminary
"oddities"?

Just bite the bullet and learn it. If you have questions, ask. It's the only sane way to do real-time graphics in Mac OS X or in Java.
Sage
diordna Wrote:I dislike OpenGL.

OpenGL is fun and awesome when you start learning it you will start to like it.. probably.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Sage
If you ask me, I'd skip the NeHe tutorials and buy the OpenGL red book. Amazon Link I found it much more informative than a collection of tutorials.

Due to the amount of interesting effects that you can get easily using OpenGL, it's silly not to learn it if you ask me.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Nibbie
LWJGL is probably the best solution for game programming.
That said there is Golden T Game Engine(http://www.goldenstudios.or.id/products/GTGE/) which I haven't tried myself.
I have been programming Java for a couple of years as a hobby and I've only used XCode as a texteditor.
The javac @compilelist command is usually sufficient and the javadoc might help you get a good look at what your doing.
In my software engineering class we wrote two 2D games in Java. The first one used Swing as the backend, and while some people will tell you Swing is fast and/or easy to learn I have to say it sucks (especially for games!). The next game we wrote using the LWJGL and that worked out much better, not to mention that we had a good framerate.

One of the other teams in my class used the Golden Tee Game Engine to accomplish their projects. It worked well for them, but I had the impression that you ended up doing very little coding and a lot of script writing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Game programming resources for Java JeroMiya 3 3,888 Sep 28, 2007 04:06 PM
Last Post: JavaGuru
  Java 2D Sprite based game unknown 9 5,865 Nov 1, 2006 09:41 PM
Last Post: StealthyCoin
  Java: Game developement & OS X XxtraLarGe 4 4,506 May 30, 2002 06:47 PM
Last Post: RedWolf