the right engine

darkdonkey
Unregistered

i need to no witch is the best language for my new game this is going to be a commercial prodject, i need sumthing that will load my game fast that will let player use spells and sword craft and figh polly models
Quote this message in a reply
There is an obscure language called SwordRuby that does that for you.

Well, in all honesty, I'm just playing around with you. Choice of language doesn't really make much difference before you know how you are going to go about using it. Just try learning some C or Ruby or whatever language looks easy enough for you to learn, then try to make a game out of it. Don't try to get too far ahead of yourself.
Try Flash, ActionScript is powerful enough for making games and you can export the project as a standalone app.

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
I'd strongly recommend http://unity3d.com/ if you can afford it. Maybe ask for it for a birthday present, or something. Smile
darkdonkey
Unregistered

ive been looking for a engine that has good rattings and uses c or c++ i think it will take me 6-12 months to make thins game by the way

so whats the best software that uses c or c++ prefrabbly c c++ seems to be the more complicated version
Like one of our members said: Make a game, not an engine!

Do you know how to program in C/C++? Do you have any programming experience?

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
I don't think there is a right engine for you. Sad

You make a lot of assumptions about game development and then ask very specific questions that to experienced developers are illogical. The language barrier also makes it hard to help you properly.

Good luck.
-Jon
You're getting far ahead of yourself. How do you think you'll have the game done in 6-12 months if you don't even know what language you'll be writing it in?

If you start small, learn the basics of a programming language, and write a very simple game in it, you'll get a lot of perspective on what it actually takes to create a game. Whatever expectations you have for how the process actually works are probably wildly inaccurate. That's simply the way it goes - you have to get some experience before being able to tackle a larger project.
Luminary
Pong is a great place to start. You will be horrified how much work it is Smile
like said onesadcookie, Pong is a good game to start with.
"horrified" its a small word when you go to receive a big punch of all stuff to do for making a game.

make a pong with simple things like using SDL or GLUT for learning the base and after you should try to think what is better than Pong and what you can do.
ThemsAllTook Wrote:You're getting far ahead of yourself. How do you think you'll have the game done in 6-12 months if you don't even know what language you'll be writing it in?

And just to give you a basis of comparison, I work on commercial games and it has taken a team of 4 programmers and a couple artists about a year and a half to finish our current project so I'm going to tell you now, you're not going to have the game you envision done in 6 to 12 months.

The brains and fingers behind Malarkey Software (plus caretaker of the world's two brattiest felines).
darkdonkey
Unregistered

im planning to make it in c++ but first im going to look up some tutorials and stuff purchase a book and i have all the media made
If you don't even know C++ yet, I'd say start with the basics. First learn the language, then learn how to do certain things with it. If you don't want to write an entire game engine yourself, then look into something like Toque or Unity. However, expect it to take at least a year until you are able to get to that point. I would agree with making simple games such as pong, but it's not necessary to make games to prepare, as long as you get the general concepts of things like data structures down first.
Quote:There is an obscure language called SwordRuby that does that for you.
I like swords!

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
I prefer Magic-C, myself. It's perfect for creating magic systems. Wink Rasp