simple coding

darkdonkey
Unregistered

im thinking of getting blitz 3d or qbasic basic but not sure if they can make an mmorpg i need something were i can creat a mmorpg when im more exspeereance at the language

should i get blitz 3d qbasic or another program what will alaw me to make at mmorpg when i am more exspeereance at it
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Why dont you try learning the C language instead, its more adapatable and suitable for an MMORPG.

also check you're spelling.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
darkdonkey
Unregistered

do you mean c or c++
I agree with Unknown, you should check out C first. I am using C right now and am really enjoying it. If all fails, knowing C will help you pickup another language quite easily. So, start with C, see how it works for you, and if it doesn't, there are other languages, such as Blitz you can check out.

MMORPG eh? Well, best of luck to you. Smile I wouldn't mind working on one, though it would take a lifetime for an indie developer to make a good one. I am thinking of making an MMO something else... such as RTS, though that is way, way, down the line, and I understand it would take forever as well to make.

~Achi
darkdonkey Wrote:do you mean c or c++
I think he means C. C++ is built off of the C 1989 (C89) standard. Learning C before C++ is a good idea, since C came before C++. That's my current path, C, Objective-C and then Cocoa, (and down the road some more, C++ and other languages and scripting languages such as Lua).

Hope that helps.

~Achi
darkdonkey
Unregistered

ok sounds good would i be able to get a book on it and do you think a twelve year old would be able to learn it, o yea and what is a good program that uses it
There are a ton of books out there for learning C. Dave Marks wrote an eBook on: Learning C on the Macintosh. It's a good place to start. Another book that has been great for me is: The Complete Reference: C. As for a program that uses C... well, there are IDE's (Integrated Developing Environment) such as Xcode. You can download it from Apple.com, from their developer section if you do not already have it - it's free.

Well, good luck. Smile

~Achi
just adding to what everyone else has said.
if you don't have a firm understanding of algebra and mathematics in general, then you should study up a bit before. programming languages are ways of communicating mathematical expressions to a machine, but if you don't know the maths to begin with it will be difficult.

a good place to start is http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Main_Page
search for algebra first, then C
Nothing wrong with starting with one of the Basic languages - use that to make some small games. They can be a lot easier to get something running quickly. If you find it to be fun and you want to continue you can always move up to C or C++ or whatever. Dont think you have to start right now in the one language you are going to use forevermore for everything and never have to learn anything else. By the time you are ready for your big project you may want to use an opensource or commercial engine of some sort and do most of your work in a scripting language. Or you may want to stick with a Basic language, they are pretty powerful these days. Use the easiest tools to get started the fastest is my humble suggestion.
darkdonkey
Unregistered

so i think im going to learn c but just out of cureosity can blitz or qbasic make and mmog i no dbp can but im not atemting to learm that last time i tryed it was neerly imposible there were no good tutorials and the help files are compltly use less
Luminary
You'll find a handy spell-checker in Safari's Edit menu.

The biggest barrier to making an MMORPG you'll face is time. They take teams of 20-100 experienced people 3+ years to make. So, working alone, you can expect to be done no earlier than 2067. That's assuming you're experienced already, which you're clearly not. I'd guess that you'll need 5-6 years' experience before you can begin to think about tackling such a project, so make it 2072 at the earliest, and maybe more like 2313. Of course, in 5-6 years you may be experienced enough that you'll be able to attract some team members, in which case you can trade time for money to get it done before I retire ^_^
darkdonkey
Unregistered

ok i wasn't actually thinking of starrting making an mmorpg until 3-6 years when i am more experience and realm crafter did not seem very helpfull so what is the best software for a windows (i have mac but my windows is much better and faster)

thanks (i actually spell checked it this time)
Luminary
Quote:starrting ... exspeeriance ... helpfull ... actully ... cheked

No you didn't Rasp
darkdonkey
Unregistered

what look at the text its right or the spell chekers wrong or my english isnt as good as i thought it was
darkdonkey
Unregistered

to start of with i think i might use some thing simpler like blitz 3d i dosen't mater about making an mmorpg when im more exspeerianced, and c would take at least a few years to learn c i think i will start start with blitz or another simple language