Beginner needs suggestions for '3D game maker'

darkdonkey
Unregistered

what do you think is the best game creating software for me i am 12 years old and whant to make 3d games the software can work on mac and pc i have 2 computers
Quote this message in a reply
Have you looked at dim3? dim3 is free, and although I've never used it, as far as I'm aware, whilst you'll need to learn JavaScript, it can produce games for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux...

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Perhaps we can convince him to try something a bit more basic first. Like Space Invaders.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
I actually think Visual Basic is a great way to start out with game programming. It's a really easy language to pick up and you don't have to worry about all the structure and advanced system/memory action like with more advanced languages. You can make a very simple game like a 'Space Invaders' or even a tile-based game without too much difficulty, and you'll focus more on the actual game mechanics than getting it up and running.

VB isn't suited to extremely powerful gaming though, so I'd recommend getting a feel for game programming techniques or using it as a 'drawing board' to get ideas, and then move up to something more advanced. Of course VB is only for Windows, but it's still a very easy starting point.

Please start simple and make basic 2D games to learn and get a grasp on the basics, and then move up to more challenging things, such as 3D later on. I'm very ambitious with my projects and when I reach beyond my current ability, I end up getting stuck on basic things early on or don't finish the project. Start small and gain experience; I had to learn this the hard way, and it's still something that has to sink in.

If you really do want to work with 3D and not have to write code from scratch to get the game running but still have an extremely powerful game framework, engine, and scripting system, check out Unity3D at http://www.unity3d.com . It does cost a good bit of money, though. There is a 30 day demo that's well worth the download.

And that's cool that you're into game programming at 12. This is a tiny bit off topic, but I've been programming (not professionally, obviously) since I was about 5 with the BASIC language on my V-Tech kid's educational laptop that I had received for Christmas. I later played with QBASIC and others on Windows, and got into Visual Basic around 5th grade. My uncle is also a programmer and encouraged me a lot through my early years. I stopped doing it for the most part when I turned 14 or so and now that I'm almost 17, I'm just now getting seriously back into programming. I'm making a neat tile-based RPG for my school's technology fair. But my point is, if you love this, stick with it and you'll really be getting somewhere. Don't give up your nerdy hobbies for social status and music fads : )
JohnWallice
Unregistered

Unity is easy to get started with for 3d games but most important of all it allows you to create basically any kind of 3d game.

There are a bunch of tutorials and example projects to get you started:
http://unity3d.com/examples/

http://unity3d.com/gallery/main/index.html

The forum is also very helpful:
http://forum.unity3d.com/

What game do you want to create?
vnvrymdreglage Wrote:I actually think Visual Basic is a great way to start out with game programming. It's a really easy language to pick up and you don't have to worry about all the structure and advanced system/memory action like with more advanced languages.

All you have to worry about is that its not available on Macintosh...

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Jones
Unregistered

Leisure Suit Lurie Wrote:All you have to worry about is that its not available on Macintosh...

It exists in excel. But that support is to be removed in the next version of Office. I don't know how it works on intel chips.

I actually have a book about programming games in excel with VB.
Quote:I actually have a book about programming games in excel with VB.

LOL

Funniest. Thing. Ever.

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Jones
Unregistered

Najdorf Wrote:LOL

Funniest. Thing. Ever.

It was (of course) not worth the 14.99 I paid for it.

Purchased with it (each for 10$) were "Mac Game Programming", "Programming Linux Games" (best book on SDL friggen EVER!) and "Adobe Web Pack".

I always found it weird that the one microsoft related book was *more*. Sneaky

It seems that when I do (it's a prerequisite for advanced) CTS computer science this year I'll be forced to use Visual Basic. *cries* Wink
Would you mind giving me an Amazon link to that Linux book? Or an author so I can look it up myself?

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Jones
Unregistered

diordna Wrote:Would you mind giving me an Amazon link to that Linux book? Or an author so I can look it up myself?

Sure, here you go: Link.

It's a great book, and one of the few about SDL that exists. The company the author(s) belong to, Loki Software, went under a while ago. I guess there was not a big demand for games on Linux.
Jones Wrote:Sure, here you go: Link.

It's a great book, and one of the few about SDL that exists. The company the author(s) belong to, Loki Software, went under a while ago. I guess there was not a big demand for games on Linux.

Or that Linux people are not accustomed to paying for anything.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Yeah, VB being Windoze only is an issue Smile But it's easy as pie to learn.
Jones Wrote:It seems that when I do (it's a prerequisite for advanced) CTS computer science this year I'll be forced to use Visual Basic. *cries* Wink
You poor soul!! I can't stand VB.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help!!!!! on BYOND DREAM MAKER ????? batosay101089 1 3,464 Dec 11, 2008 11:17 PM
Last Post: AndyKorth
  Is there any choose your own adventuer game maker Sambo110 2 3,947 Apr 7, 2007 07:42 PM
Last Post: stevejohnson
  SpriteC - RPG maker, your thoughts? Leisure Suit Lurie 1 2,819 Mar 3, 2005 03:52 PM
Last Post: Shunter