Quinn threatened and taken down by Tetris Company's attorneys

Marjock
Unregistered

Seems to me the best way to thank them is to let them keep any revenue they may have earnt from their clones, as opposed to sueing the pants off of the.

-Mark
Quote this message in a reply
New Quinn on macupdate today.

Quote:Quinn is an implementation of a popular falling-blocks game, which, according to the Tetris Company, must not be named here.

Way to go!

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
LOL

Of course, he forgot to change this bit (second feature on the first column):
Quote:pure Tetris following the original rules

Rolleyes
from http://www.atarihq.com/tsr/special/tetrishist.html
June 1985
Inspired by a pentominoes game he had bought earlier, Alexey Pazhitnov creates Tetris on an Electronica 60 at the Moscow Academy of Science's Computer Center. It is ported to the IBM PC by Vadim Gerasimov and starts spreading around Moscow. Pazhitnov gets a small degree of fame for his program.
July 1986
The PC version makes its way to Budapest, Hungary, where it is ported to the Apple II and Commodore 64 by Hungarian programmers. These versions catch the eye of Robert Stein, president of the British software house Andromeda. He plans to get the rights to the PC version from Pazhitnov directly, and to get the other versions from the Hungarian programmers. Even before Stein gets in touch with Pazhitnov or the Academy, he sells all the rights to Tetris (except for arcade and handheld versions) to Mirrorsoft UK and its USA affiliate, Spectrum Holobyte, owned by Robert Maxwell's Pergamon Foundation.
Stein makes a plan to essentially steal Tetris, to claim it was invented by the Hungarian programmers.

so, he sold the rights to a game he didn't even own? hmm, don't know about you, but i'm gonna go out and start selling stuff that doesn't belong to me, then sue anyone else who tries to do the same!!!
am i missing something?
Luminary
I believe the Tetris company is actually Pazhitnov's.
seems to be owned by hasbro now. nintendo did have ownership.
this site has information on fighting tetris corp.
http://www.abednarz.net/tetris.html
interesting citing of precendence
"Apple Computer sued Microsoft and Hewlett Packard for implementing a window system whose displays partially resemble those of the Macintosh system. Subsequently Xerox sued Apple for implementing the Macintosh system, which derives some general concepts from the earlier Xerox Star system. These suits try to broaden the Lotus decision and establish copyright on a large class of user interfaces. The Xerox lawsuit was dismissed because of a technicality."

hahaha, and remember, don't put any content into your games!
pruss
Unregistered

It looks like they're claiming copyright on the Tetris rules of play. The following information from the U.S. copyright office rather strongly suggests that this is baseless in the U.S. (IANAL):

"The idea for a game is not protected by copyright. The same is true of the name or title given to the game and of the method or methods for playing it.

"Copyright protects only the particular manner of an author’s expression in literary, artistic, or musical form. Copyright protection does not extend to any idea, system, method, device, or trademark material involved in the development, merchandising, or playing of a game. Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles.

"Some material prepared in connection with a game may be subject to copyright if it contains a sufficient amount of literary or pictorial expression. For example, the text matter describing the rules of the game, or the pictorial matter appearing on the gameboard or container, may be registrable." (http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl108.html)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New: Official Tetris for Mac OS X MarkJ 10 6,216 Feb 26, 2007 05:58 AM
Last Post: ERaZer
  Amazing documentary about Tetris! Najdorf 3 3,620 Jan 30, 2007 02:37 PM
Last Post: LaRue