OpenGL Isometric Tile Engine

Stalin55
Unregistered

First of all, I'm not very experienced with OpenGL but I have enough basic knowledge of it to find my way around and figure out how to do stuff. Secondly I have a lot of experience programming 2d isometric tile engines. I am looking into the possibility of creating a 2d isometric engine(much like Diablo) with OpenGl, but I'm not quite sure which is the most practical and efficient way to go about doing it. Can anyone give me a somewhat detailed description of the best for creating a 2d isometric tile engine with OpenGL?
Quote this message in a reply
Stalin55
Unregistered

I was just fooling with texturing quads (each quad and texture map is 80x40 pixels) using pre-rendered isometric tile bitmaps (2:1 ratio) as seen in a mock bitmap image below...

....and I guess because the texture image isn't perfectly square OpenGL is not letting me apply the texture, is there some way around this (or perhaps this is the wrong method all together)?
Luminary
Put your tiles in textures and draw them on quads. I'd be tempted to actually use a 3D world and an isometric projection rather than do everything with bitmaps, but you could go either way. If you go the bitmap route, you may need to turn on alpha testing to get things to draw correctly.
Luminary
Textures in OpenGL must have power-of-two dimensions (eg. 128x64), unless you use the (ARB|EXT|NV)_texture_rectangle extension. The extension is available on all hardware newer than the Rage 128.
Stalin55
Unregistered

How do do transparent textures where the white pixels are transparent?
Luminary
You don't; you do transparent textures where the transparent pixels are transparent.
Stalin55
Unregistered

How exactly do I do that?
Luminary
Using alpha testing and/or blending.
Stalin55
Unregistered

I fooled around using all different combinations of glBlend() and I can't seem to find a way to make part of my textures transparent. I'm using tgas and I tried removing the background layer in photoshop because I read that tga supports alpha channels, and that still didn't work.
You want glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA); Then draw from farthest to nearest.

You could use the OpenGL Profiler application to confirm that your textures are right as your game is running.

-Jon
Stalin55
Unregistered

aarku Wrote:You want glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA); Then draw from farthest to nearest.

Thats exactly the function that I used and is doesn't work.

To be more specific about the program, I have one bitmap texture containing a 2:1 isometric tile image and I texture it to a 128x64 quad on the screen. Then texture another identical quad (over top quarter first quad).
Luminary
The dimensions of the quad are irrelevant; the dimensions of the texture image are what matters.

What precise behavior are you seeing, and what precise code are you using?
Am I the only one who realizes blending the alpha components doesn't work if the source image doesn't have an alpha channel? The guy said multiple times he wants the white pixels to be transparent, which implies the image doesn't already have transparency.

Anyway, when binding your texture you need to have an alpha channel, or 4 bytes per pixel. I'm assuming your image is just RGB right now, but you could probably get away with something like this:
Code:
char * data;
int width, height;
// read in RGB image here
// let's assume data now contains the RGB pixels at 3 bytes per pixel
// and width and height contain the width and height of the image

int size = width * height;
char data2[size * 4];
int m, n;

for (n = 0; n < size; n++) {
  m = n * 4;
  data2[m] = data[m]; data2[m+1] = data[m+1]; data2[m+2] = data[m+2]; // copy the RGB values
  if (data[m] == data[m+1] == data[m+2] == 1.0) // if pixel = white
    data2[m+3] = 1.0; // make transparent
  else
    data2[m+3] = 0.0; // make opaque
}

// bind texture as RGBA instead of RGB
The code is untested and could probably stand to be optimized, but that's one way of making perfectly white pixels transparent. However, you're much better off just giving the source image an alpha channel in an image editor and using a texture loader that supports transparency.
Luminary
I said earlier that he should use transparent pixels, and he is using tga, so there's no problem with the image format not supporting it.

So not only is your code broken, and ugly as sin, but it's completely unnecessary.
Sage
imikedaman Wrote:Am I the only one who realizes blending the alpha components doesn't work if the source image doesn't have an alpha channel?

Sure it does. In the fixed function pipeline, textures are modulated with the current vertex color by default. So regardless of what the texture alpha is, if you glColor4f(1, 1, 1, 0.5) before drawing you should see some blending.

But seriously, why is loading a translucent texture so hard for everyone? I've seen this same thread a dozen times now.

Do we need to write "draw a green triangle" and "draw a texture mapped triangle" sample code?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  BYOND Isometric DMdude 0 2,087 Dec 29, 2009 10:11 PM
Last Post: DMdude
  Isometric tile question swiftd 3 3,366 Aug 19, 2009 05:25 AM
Last Post: swiftd
  Multithreaded OpenGL Engine Technote OneSadCookie 8 4,763 Nov 13, 2006 01:27 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Isometric people skrew 8 5,943 Feb 15, 2006 01:33 AM
Last Post: skrew
  Scene-Level OpenGL Engine Needed robsteely 6 3,890 Jan 26, 2003 06:02 AM
Last Post: kelvin