XNA opens the 360 for homebrew

Oldtimer
This scares the bejesus out of me:

http://www.ausgamers.com/pressreleases/html/2459342

The XNA framework was powerful as it was, but cracking open that console for indie devs is obviously one very powerful move from Redmond's side. Any takers?
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
This is really unexpected!
I just noticed two things in the article that Im not sure about:

Quote:This represents the first significant opportunity for novice developers to make a console game without a significant investment in resources.
http://playstation2-linux.com/

Quote:The XNA Game Studio Express beta will be available Aug. 30, 2006, as a free download on Windows XP, for development on the Windows XP platform. XNA Game Studio Express will give anyone with a Windows XP-based PC access to a unified development tool that liberates the creation of great Xbox 360 and Windows XP-compatible games, providing a new alternative to the existing multithousand-dollar development kits that many console games require. The final version of XNA Game Studio Express will be available this holiday season.

"XNA Game Studio Express will ignite innovation and accelerate prototyping, forever changing the way games are developed," Satchell said. "By unlocking retail Xbox 360 consoles for community-created games, we are ushering in a new era of cross-platform games based on the XNA platform. We are looking forward to the day when all the resulting talent-sharing and creativity transforms into a thriving community of user-created games on Xbox 360."

Is it just me or are those two paragraphs quite contradictory?

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
While the Playstation2 Linux Kit did allow hobbiest developers access to Playstation2, anything created was only available to people with access to a Linux Kit. I assume with XNA Game Studio Express, it will somehow tie into XBox Live Arcade.

I found that with PS2 Linux Kit, linux got in the way a bit too much for my liking, but that maybe more to do with the fact that I was used to doing things a certain way on a full development kit and had to change the way I did things on the Linux Kit.

It will be interesting to see how much access Microsoft allow or indeed Sony if they decide to follow and allow PS3 access to Indie Developers, which I hope they do, at least I should be able to build and debug PS3 code on my Mac.

If I had an XBox 360 and indeed a PC to run XNA on I would deffinatly be interested in developing for XBox 360 though.
Oldtimer
Unknown: Microsoft's notion of "crossplatform" means WinXP, XBox and Windows CE. A pretty generous definition, if you ask me.
Looks like...um...Nintendo is going to have to follow suite...

Come on Nintendo, come on. Just this once. I know you like it. I would open it up if I were in your shoes.

Good Nintendo.
Sage
I am with you there, if nintendo did that it It would be fantastic!

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Oldtimer
Phew. According to the FAQ Zwilnik posted, sharing games you make for XNA-360 isn't exactly straightforward:

Quote:• The individual you are planning to share the game with must be logged in to Xbox Live and have an active subscription to the XNA Creators Club
• The receiving user must have downloaded the XNA Framework runtime environment for the Xbox 360
• The receiving user must have XNA Game Studio Express installed on their own development PC
• The game project, including all source and content assets, must be shared with the receiving user. The receiving user then compiles and deploys the game to their Xbox 360.

...so you can only share it with other XNA-subscribed developers. That took the fangs out of the tiger.
Oldtimer
OK, eventually they will allow products built with XNA to deploy to any XBox.

And by the way:
Quote:Q: What does XNA stand for?
A: XNA’s Not Acronymed
That was just lame.
Fenris Wrote:Phew. According to the FAQ Zwilnik posted, sharing games you make for XNA-360 isn't exactly straightforward:

...so you can only share it with other XNA-subscribed developers. That took the fangs out of the tiger.

Can you say after-thought?

If I'm going to switch my entire development platform/environment, ditching years of engine spit and shine, I'd better love the platform I'm developing for...and I don't love after-thoughts.

EDIT: Still, if there are good games I'm sure MS will move them into the XBLA, so I shouldn't be so hard on them. But come on, they're MS, how could I resist?
Fenris Wrote:Phew. According to the FAQ Zwilnik posted, sharing games you make for XNA-360 isn't exactly straightforward:

They're also planning a 'pro' version of the kit for later that would allow you to submit titles for full certification (at least according to the blurbs). However, the cost of certification means it would have to be a pretty good game.

Hopefully, it'll be like Net Yaroze and act as a really good introduction to console programming for games programmers.