Adventure game engine?

Apprentice
Are there any adventure game engines for the Mac? There seems to be a bundle for Windows, inspired by SCUMM and that Sierra thing and whatever. But I haven't been able to find anything similar for the Mac. I wanna make an adventure game, I stink at programming. Help me =)
Quote this message in a reply
Apprentice
Have you looked at Unity3d?
htpp://unity3d.com
Apprentice
Yes, but because it's meant to be used for all sorts of games, it is far too advanced for what I have time to get into... =/
Oldtimer
Is this Sippans Serie making it into the interactive world? Pleasepleaseplease? Wink

Apart from Unity, I don't think there are any feasible adventure game editors left - most have died a peaceful death. What kind of game are you thinking about? First-person point-and-click, sidescrolling adventure, top-down Zelda style..?
I did a quick search on Apple.com and found the following:
Cold Stone Game Engine
Torque Game Builder
Power Game Factory

Perhaps one of those can help? Well, best of luck with whatever you do. Smile

~Achi
Coldstone is no longer active. Power game factory is nice. I have no experience with Torque.

Alex
Supposedly Coldstone is being updated, but they've been saying that for like... 5 years. I remember when I got it, I was looking for an RPG maker that was easy to use, since I didn't know programming at the time. I find it funny that they advertise how you an create games without learning languages such as C++, but I've learned (and am continuing to learn) how to make games using languages like C++ long before they've gotten this to work on any system newer than Jaguar. Rasp (well, it still doesn't work on any system newer than Jaguar, but that's beside the point Wink)
on the frontpage there is a news item on pipmak:
http://pipmak.sourceforge.net/
which looks cool for Myst type adventures. The demo was impressive. It has dynamic panoramic views, objects you can pick up, put in your inventory, use and drop, and buttons and controls you can push and drag around. All scripted in Lua.
Pipmak makes Myst type games. GameMaker makes card based games. There's also GAGE: http://gage.sourceforge.net/ which I haven't tried...since its java.

Someone on here was working on an adventure game engine.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Apprentice
I'm aiming for MacVenture or LucasArts looking. I suck monumentally at programming, so it's going to have to be something super easy to use. Coldstone would probably have been nice... But wasn't that an RPG engine?

Someone should make a MacVenture-like game creation utility for people with great powers of imagination but no programming skills. It seems like it should be easy, it's so basic...

And yes, it is pretty much Sippans Serie: The Adventure Game =P
Coldstone is indeed an RPG engine, but that doesn't mean you can't apply it to different game types. For example, they created to proof-of-concept memory game with it.
I wonder how hard it would be to actually write a game for the SCUMM engine. You could then use SCUMMVM to run it.
akb825 Wrote:Coldstone is indeed an RPG engine, but that doesn't mean you can't apply it to different game types. For example, they created to proof-of-concept memory game with it.

It really doesn't matter because it is dead with bugs above Jaguar, and they won't even let you purchase it at all.

Alex
Apprentice
Unity is very easy to use.
Sage
Blacktiger Wrote:I wonder how hard it would be to actually write a game for the SCUMM engine. You could then use SCUMMVM to run it.
probably a lot harder than writing from scratch.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Adventure Puzzle Game (With Pic!) mickyg 3 4,296 Feb 21, 2012 11:15 AM
Last Post: Mediacitygames
  Install "Torque Game Engine Advanced" Problem mahdavi 1 3,805 May 25, 2009 11:48 AM
Last Post: SethWillits
  TrueBones Animations in Game Engine mrbones 0 2,880 Mar 29, 2008 12:22 AM
Last Post: mrbones
  2-D game engine Chris _h 9 6,853 Mar 8, 2007 01:08 AM
Last Post: nich
  Importance of an 'engine' in a basic game. seven 13 7,378 Jan 20, 2005 01:28 PM
Last Post: ravuya