Possibilities of an Intel based Mac?

Apprentice
Hi,
I was thinking to start casual games programming for Mac computers but I'm not sure what kind of machine I should buy.
I want my games to be playable in 6/7 years old computers as in new ones, from Mac Os X 10.3 to the newest one.
If I get a new Intel-based mac, could I still be coding and compiling applications that work on a 6 year old PPC? Or should I need a PPC anyway?

My Idea is to use carbon/c++, OpenGL, OpenAL and, if possible, to compile universal binaries although I'm not very familiar with all these terms since I never had contact with a Mac.

I didn't find this info on previous threads, I'm sorry if so.

Thanks in advance!
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Yes, you can develop games for that target hardware on a new Intel-based Mac. Obviously, you'll need a minimum-spec machine to test on, but you can either pick up a cheap 400MHz iMac second-hand, or ask for testers around here -- there are plenty of people who still have ancient machines lying around.
Apprentice
Thanks!
So I'm start looking forward to having one.
Apprentice
Ok, the looking is still in progress LOL
... It's not funny really. I haven't had the money Cry

One more question:
Can I install WindowsXP in an external drive and use it as a IBM clone PC too?

I would love to have a MAC!
But my computer is getting old too and I can't buy two computers.

Thanks again!
operator Wrote:Can I install WindowsXP in an external drive and use it as a IBM clone PC too?

Boot Camp (beta) or Parallels; caveat: I don't know whether either of those will work with an external drive, as I haven't used either of them - I run one of those six-seven year old Macs you talked about targeting games for in your first post Rasp

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Nibbie
You can definately install Mac OS on an external drive though, so you could just do it the other way. And of course parallels should work on an external drive. I can't imagine it not. But Bootcamp is what I generally use (AutoCad, Solid Edge and other Windows only programs that I must use once in a while)
Apprentice
Thanks so much!
My parallels runs fine on my iPod, so it shouldn't be any problems.